Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, I met a fella and his son a couple weekends ago, that has 3 Jeeps. We all went riding in my Rubi yesterday and he's sat on buying a TJ Rubi now. Anyway, he asked me to check for a stock or mild cam he can put in his CJ? He said it was a bored .30 over 304 with a Holley 600 or 650 4bbl. The cam that was in it was way too big, it even down one of his lifters. He said at idle and would just rock the Jeep rough side to side! So, he wants to know if he should go with a stock cam? Or a mild cam? If mild, which one/size? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I built a 304 in my '80 CJ5 about 25 years ago and went with a Summit mild cam. I don't remember the specs but it was not a very aggressive cam. Huge difference between the Summit and the factory cam. Ran it with a 500-2 barrel and ran fantastic! Tons of power and still great for a daily driver.

·
Registered
218 Posts
A mild RV type cam is going to work best. And ditch the 600-650 cfm carb also. Way too big for any good low rpm response on that engine. Like above, something in the 450-500 cfm range will work well.

What manifold is sitting under the existing carb? If it is single plane, it's another item to chuck.

The only place I see all those high rpm goodies doing any good in a Jeep is if it's main purpose in life is either/or dunes and mud bogs. And frankly, a 304 is a little small for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts