Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to purchase a newer JKU, specifically a Billet Silver. To save money I would prefer a used one, but as we all know a used JKU typically doesn't mean you are saving any money versus a new one.

I came across a 2014 JKU Sahara in Billet at a dealer for $27k. Other than the black hard-top (not color matched), it is loaded.
  • black leather - heated front seats
  • 430 touchscreen with navigation
  • alpine stereo
  • automatic trans
  • connectivity group
  • max tow
  • trac-loc
This rig is clean and no off-road use. If I was looking at a brand-new Jeep with all the same options I would be looking at dropping down around $36-37,000.00.

Now the catch........ has 54,000 miles already on the odometer!
In talking tho the dealer, the previous owner drove it alot as a commuter and took a couple long vacations. Purchased by the PO in late 2013, so this was over 3k a month average in mileage.

What bothers me is to purchase a 1 year-old vehicle and not have a factory warranty, other than the drive-train.

Do I run from this or is it actually a good buy?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I'd go for a new one with the warranty, but that's just me.

My 2014 cost me right around $30k. I have an automatic with the premium soft top and connectivity. I don't have the other goodies on that Sahara, so it's not a direct comparison, but I did get the warranty.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
What bothers me is to purchase a 1 year-old vehicle and not have a factory warranty, other than the drive-train.
Have you asked the dealer to throw in a Mopar extended warranty plan, to address your concern?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you asked the dealer to throw in a Mopar extended warranty plan, to address your concern?
No I haven't but that would be a great idea. This Jeep is currently at a FORD dealer so I am not certain if they would be able to offer it, but i would certainly pursue it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This would be one of those situations where I would look at an extended warranty. You could probably talk them down on it and end up in a loaded Jeep for still less than what you would pay for one with 15K on it. Plus, if it didn't live a hard life, I would think it should be OK mechanically. Do they have full service records?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do they have full service records?

Yes, this Jeep was brought in for regular maintaninance just about every 4-5k miles, which was almost every month. No other isues other than a typical oil/filter/lube and tire rotation.

In all my previous vehicles I have never purchased or asked for an "extended" vehicle warranty. In this case, what type of warranties are available that a dealer can provide me since the original manufacture warranty has run-out 18,000 miles ago?
What would be a fair/typical warranty to ask for or expect a dealer to provide, 10,20,30,000 mile???? Please educate me.:)

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
You might research aftermarket warranties in your state....in my state aftermarket warranties are worthless. Most mechanics won't mess with them as they are a PITA to get money out of. This was the case 15yrs ago at least here in TX...just be warned....research that bit before trying to get it, as it may not be worth getting.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
For what it's worth I bought my 14' JKU Sahara last year around this time for just under $33k out the door. It has everything this one has minus the leather, max tow, and connectivity group (I added heated leather seats and the connectivity module afterward). Though mine did come with the dual top group, remote start, and auto climate control.

I think you could probably find as good of a deal with a new Jeep. Especially towards the end of the month. Just my .02.

·
Registered
335 Posts
$27k for a jeep that has already seen little less then half it's life on the road ,i'd pass and look for another. Then again i'm sure the dealer set the price so high with the mind set that a buyer will try to talk them down on the price. I wouldn't pay more then 20k for it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's not that bad of a deal actually.

My 2014 Freedom edition with hardtop cost me right at $33K. And I got the full warranty. So you can spend a little more, and not get the options that one has, but still have the warranty. Or you can buy that one and gamble on the warranty.

But let's face it.......probably the only thing I can still claim on my warranty is the motor! lol

After all of the modifications i've pretty much voided my warranty, at least the driveline. So the extended warranty wasn't justifiable for me! But to each his own.

As far as the mileage, that may seem a little high, but I bought mine in April of 2014 and I've already racked up 22k miles. I have a 52 mile round trip commute to work, plus my weekend travels, plus vacations.....doesn't take long to rack up the miles!

·
Registered
335 Posts
As far as the mileage, that may seem a little high, but I bought mine in April of 2014 and I've already racked up 22k miles. I have a 52 mile round trip commute to work, plus my weekend travels, plus vacations.....doesn't take long to rack up the miles!
Most gasoline engines last about 125k miles before some type of major repair or rebuild. Unless hes going to keep this jeep for 200k+ miles and do a engine rebuild around 150k miles, it's already seen half it's life on the road. You would take a 50k mile hit on a car to save $4k?

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's a good deal, but that doesn't mean you should spend that much on it when for just a bit more you can get brand new with full warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most gasoline engines last about 125k miles before some type of major repair or rebuild. Unless hes going to keep this jeep for 200k+ miles and do a engine rebuild around 150k miles, it's already seen half it's life on the road. You would take a 50k mile hit on a car to save $4k?
A) I don't know what part of the country you live in but around here you aren't going to own ANY millage 2014 JKU Sahara for 20K

B) If you're only getting about 125K out of your motors you're doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
B) If you're only getting about 125K out of your motors you're doing something wrong.
Agreed, most modern gas engines should run well over 200K before needing a rebuild. My other SUV is a 2003 Mercedes ML320 with the 3.2l V6 in it. It has never had anything done to it besides little stuff like power steering pumps and pulley bearings and it just rolled over 280K.

It also has an older version of the transmission that is in the current JK autos. The transmission is sealed from the factory still and shifts smooth as butter. Good to know and hopefully the one in the JK will last a while like this one has.

·
Registered
582 Posts
LOL at buying a 2014 JKU in ANY trim for $20k. I'm selling an '07 for that and absolutely expect to sell it quickly and without any problems.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OP: It all boils down to what you want. A few comments here don't apply because you can't compare a Sport to a Sahara. Trim levels not only cost more up front but they play a HUGE role in resale values. IMO, where you get hurt on a high mileage vehicle is if you don't plan to keep it for a while. In my zip code, that unit has a NADA ROUGH TRADE IN value of $29,925 and a Clean Retail of $35,700. So their starting point of $27K is fair and in line with the market.

I say if it's what you want, go haggle. See what they'll do. If you're compromising on any major features or options, walk away because you'll always feel like you settled for something you didn't want.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
With that many miles, the PO had a lot of seat time. Just think how many Wisconsin cheese farts are in that seat. Why buy a contaminated Jeep when you can get a new on for a few bucks more.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A) I don't know what part of the country you live in but around here you aren't going to own ANY millage 2014 JKU Sahara for 20K

The average engine out in the wild will last about 125k miles till a major repair is needed (a major repair isn't always replacing something deep in the engine as a rod). The engine block will last forever if taken care of but all the rubber on the engine will start to randomly go at around 125k miles. Also the jeep might be worth more then 20k via the blue book but I wouldn't pay more then $20k myself. The jeep might be a year old but with 54k miles it's not new anymore.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just for comparison, I bought my 2013 JKU for 27K. The two things it didn't have on your list were the

• black leather - heated front seats
  • 430 touchscreen with navigation
It had everything else. And only 11 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts