Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New here so take it easy on me.
Looking at a 05 rubicon but the mileage makes nervous. Was trying to get a few second opinions. I'll just post what I know and see what you guys think.

05 rubicon
103xxx miles
Manual
2 sets of tires/wheels
Small lift (not sure how much)
Hard and soft top
Fog lights
Warn winch
One owner and pretty much immaculate interior/exterior. Looks like it's been babied.

They're asking $16k. Blue book says that's a little high but doesn't consider the extra set of tires and top. Main thing I'm concerned with is the mileage. I'd hate to get a new to me vehicle right at the time when stuff starts to age out. I know it's a jeep. I've been around jeeps enough to know stuff is gonna need fixing a lot. I'm mainly concerned with the real expensive fixes. Anything in particular I need to be cautious of or go ahead and have replaced before it breaks? I read some stuff about 05-06 having an "opda" issue? Or something like that. Either way, I appreciate any help/advice you guys give. Also, I've done some research and used the search bar. I'd just like the additional peace of mind for this particular jeep. So please don't just tell me to search and find all the info I'll need.

Thanks again !

Also just to give an idea of usage...the jeep will be a daily driver for the most part so I don't plan to mod it out with a huge lift or tires. Some trail riding on weekends. I'm not really into the "mudbog" scene so itl be more technical hill climb, mild rock traversing etc.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You will probably need a clutch soon due to throw out bearing. Around 130,000. I 6 last forever. Paying above blue book. That's just dumb IMHO. Make an offer leave a number. Say to call even if they get a better offer you want to know. You'll get a call. Probably taking your offer. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
did you inspect the frame and floors for rust? if so and there is none, I'd ding this Rubicon about 10% below book value due to the description you listed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will probably need a clutch soon due to throw out bearing. Around 130,000. I 6 last forever. Paying above blue book. That's just dumb IMHO. Make an offer leave a number. Say to call even if they get a better offer you want to know. You'll get a call. Probably taking your offer. Good luck. :)
I agree with going above blue book. When I say it's a little over, I mean like $200 over so it's not several $1k. I think if I can get em to $15k I'd probably pull the trigger, and $15.5k would make me really think about it.

I think the most enticing thing is having hard and soft tops. Personally i just want the soft top, but It might be nice to have a hardtop come winter time. The extra set of wheels/tires also making it appealing.

Thanks for the input from everybody. I'm going to go double check everything and inspect again. From what I can tell, the doors have never even been off.

I'll try an post a pic (these are from dealer website):

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it was less than a month ago. I bought it from a dealer here in Indy.
Nice! Did a quick browse here, Cheapest 04 Rubi I could find in the area was around $14k with 98xxx miles. Manual, Soft top, small lift and aftermarket tires, but no extra tops/tires.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah I forgot to mention, mine was supposed to come with an extra set of crappy wheels that the previous owner had when he sold it. Well the dealership put the wheels in the wrong pile, and they ended up going to the scrap yard. So they just sent me a check for the value of the wheels. I got $420 out of them, when my original plan was to just sell the wheels on here for $200. So I guess you could say I only paid $12,380.

Another thing I forgot, mine came with an extra safari top as well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention, mine was supposed to come with an extra set of crappy wheels that the previous owner had when he sold it. Well the dealership put the wheels in the wrong pile, and they ended up going to the scrap yard. So they just sent me a check for the value of the wheels. I got $420 out of them, when my original plan was to just sell the wheels on here for $200. So I guess you could say I only paid $12,380.

Another thing I forgot, mine came with an extra safari top as well.
Keep rubbing it in! jk... (is it against forum rules to use 'jk' as in just kidding on the tj forum?) If I got that jeep, theres a good chance I'd sell the wheels, and possibly the hard top if I didnt use it during the winter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Keep rubbing it in! jk... (is it against forum rules to use 'jk' as in just kidding on the tj forum?) If I got that jeep, theres a good chance I'd sell the wheels, and possibly the hard top if I didnt use it during the winter.
I knew I was going to sell the wheels if I bought them. They were in rough condition, and generally not my style. The hard top was a huge plus. Living in Indy, it can get very cold in the winters, so it will be nice to have that for a little more warmth, especially since it will be parked outside.

Here were the wheels by the way: Incubus Wheels | Incubus 511 Type

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal in my area it would be around the same and it looks clean I agree work them down as much as you can and then make your decision on what you want good luck on what you choose

P.s the miles don't scare me at all I don't think it to bad but that's my opinion

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll just second what a lot of the others are saying. $16k is too high. I bough an 05 Rubi with the exact same mileage, lift, wheels, and tires. Also has MC front bumper and rear tire carrier. I only paid $14.5

I would try to get that for about $14. Hold your ground and you will probably get your price.

The mileage is nothing. These things run forever.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll just second what a lot of the others are saying. $16k is too high. I bough an 05 Rubi with the exact same mileage, lift, wheels, and tires. Also has MC front bumper and rear tire carrier. I only paid $14.5

I would try to get that for about $14. Hold your ground and you will probably get your price.

The mileage is nothing. These things run forever.
Yeah as bad as I want one, I'm not in a huge rush. I dont get my bike paid off until around Aug/Sept.... So I'll really be looking then. Atleast I have time on my side.

I'm guessing pricing in my area is high compared to what you guys are seeing. I check CL, Autotrader, Cargurus and have been looking for about the last 2 months. I haven't seen anything within 150 mi of me for prices like you guys are seeing. Most 04 Rubicons with 100k mi are between $14k-15k.

Thanks for the input from everybody. I'll try to update when/if I find out anyting on it

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah as bad as I want one, I'm not in a huge rush. I dont get my bike paid off until around Aug/Sept.... So I'll really be looking then. Atleast I have time on my side.

I'm guessing pricing in my area is high compared to what you guys are seeing. I check CL, Autotrader, Cargurus and have been looking for about the last 2 months. I haven't seen anything within 150 mi of me for prices like you guys are seeing. Most 04 Rubicons with 100k mi are between $14k-15k.

Thanks for the input from everybody. I'll try to update when/if I find out anyting on it
Asking price and selling price are very different, especially with dealers. I believe my Tj was listed on Autotrader for 15,900. The dealer tried telling me they had it listed on the lot for $16,500, but they have to make the internet price cheaper to stay competitive. In the end, I paid $12,800, plus a $420 check for them losing the extra set of wheels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Watch craigslist for a couple months and find a better deal. Dealers and CL posters put higher prices than they expect because they assume that buyers will try to knock them way down. Don't assume that the list price is in any way the desired or expected price.

With a dealer I generally think you should shoot for minimum 1k-2k under the private party book value and with craigslist... well that's the wild west.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Mine was listed at 16, but only paid 14.5 … You just have to stand your ground and be willing to walk away. We all love these vehicles and think they are worth more than they are. So, when we sell them, we ask high prices.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts