Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry is this has been covered. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket ATF fluid pan with an included drain plug for a 2016 Wrangler JK? I’d prefer a pan designed with thicker reinforced metal in the drain area for better thread engagement rather than drilling and tapping a thin factory pan that wasn’t designed to be threaded. I found a Dorman and a couple others but in the comments it seems like the drain plug location is a problem. Since they are marketed for multiple models the drain plug on the Dorman is directly above the exhaust LOL.

Doing my first ATF change on this Jeep and it always amazes me how cheap these factories are when they don’t include drain plugs. I can’t stand the mess of dropping a near full tranny pan.

For fluid I was just planning to use Valvoline full synthetic ATF4 rather than the semi-synth factory fluid or the ultra expensive boutique brands unless somebody has a compelling reason why not.

I’m going to do the filter change then the driveway flush/fill method using my own Jeeps tranny pump just like I’ve done on my Tundra for years. I’m figuring 30k mileage intervals with the full synthetic Valvoline should more than exceed my needs. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I used a Dorman pan on each of our JKU's. The issue you will find though is that if you do not relocate the cross-over pipe the drain will dump oil on to the pipe and make a mess, as you read.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have drilled the stock pan and added a drain plug a couple of times on my personal pickups, figured I would do the same on my JK when the time comes.

First time was a plate i welded on the pan then drilled and tapped. Second pan I used a plug from Amazon. You don't get a complete drain because it sticks up internally, but definitely helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
What is involved in relocating the cross-over?
There are kits by a number of manufacturers. I used one from aFe. The kit moves the cross over to behind the transmission cross member.
Simple process w the kit.
Remove stock cross over.
Install new cross over.
I had to cut the bolts at the flanges as they were rusted solid. They use a lot of salt in Winter here. :( I also used some heat resistant tape around fuel lines that run near the new pipe but I am not sure I needed to.
I might have some pics if you want to see some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got tired of looking. I’m just gonna deal with the stock pan and not put a plug in. Anyway, are you guys just replacing the neoprene gasket on a 2016 JK transmission pan or are you also using RTV with a new gasket? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Partially draining the pan wasn’t near as messy as I expected once set up with a large drain pan and some cardboard. HOWEVER, I didn’t notice that you either have to

A. Jack the tranny or
B. Unbolt the crossover to actually REMOVE the pan. That’s some great engineering there FCA…

I miss my manual trans TJ LOL. Simply unscrew the plugs and dump the tranny and transfer case fluids all over the skids cause they needed the rustproofing anyway and it would just drain through the rust holes, pump some diesel through to wash out the decades of sediment/rust then refill.

Just kidding fellow JK’ers, I do like this much more modern vehicle but there is something to be said for the agricultural equipment level simplicity of maintenance to the old TJ.

I’m had enough for the night, I’ll leave the pan cracked loose and flip a coin tomorrow to either remove the crossover pipe or jack the tranny. Of course I have every deep well socket EXCEPT the 16mm I need to remove the tranny mounts so that route will require a trip to the store. I sprayed the crossover bolts just in case…

Oh by the way I’m a big believer in Fluid Film. I had the underside coated heavily this fall before the salt season. Too bad I didn’t have had the foresight to change the tranny fluid first 😳

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I had the PML pan. It worked perfect. No issues.

PML P/N 11132

Instead of a gasket, I used Permatex Automatic Transmission RTV Sealant (P/N 81180). To apply it, I would recommend buying a Valco Tube-Grip Dispensing Plier, 2.5" Wide (P/N 71006). Makes applying the sealant from tube much easier than squeezing with your fingers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts