Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See below.

I have 20" XD Monsters with Mickey Thompson MTZ's(35x 12.5x20) on my JKU and have been trying to sell them as I wanted a smaller wheel Dia. Got a note yest that a gent wanted to trade(craigslist). He has 18" proline xtremes (series 89) with MT ATZ's. He also is willing to throw in a Smitty SRC roof rack system and a cargo basket, knowing my wheels/tires are a bit newer at only about 4000 miles and are quite a bit more expensive. His are 305/70/18's so are 35's as well.

Looking at the pics the tires appear to have plenty of tread left (he says 75%) and he stated that they haven't really been off road. I don't see any weird wear patterns, but will have to look at all of them.

I wanted 17's but do you think 18's are close enough? Looks like tire prices drop considerably for 18's but not as much as 17's. I do like how they look.

He did tell me he didn't rotate the spare in so I guess that is a concern. I am going to take a tread depth gauge to measure the difference to see if that will be a dealbreaker.

Other than the "normal" craigslist concerns, what should I look for? $$$ to $$$ just comparing prices versus what I was asking for them, it appears I come out slightly ahead. Just don't know if there is anything specific i should look for in his setup. He does have TPMS installed(these are coming off a Rubicon, just don't know what year.)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you can live with the wheel size, doesn't sound too bad to me. Especially with the extras he throwing in if you can use them.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 18's are ok. I get 2" more sidewall so would feel more comfortable dropping tire pressures lower when needed. The tires look plenty "meaty" enough.

I am torn on the rack. I have thought about putting one on before so it is an opportunity to see if I like it. If I don't then I can sell it later.

I did confirm we would have to swap out TPMS sensors or purchase new ones as his is a 2012 and mine is a 2014.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Wish I could help you with your decision.... but being a fellow Sooner (class of '69), I like your avatar!! Where'd you get it?

Hopin' '15 is our year!!! Boomer Sooner!

Bob

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boomer sooner Bob!

Class of '89.

Avatar is just something I have been dragging around for years. Use it and the same name on all the forums I am on. Don't even know where I got it. I'll try and attach.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, going to at least meet the guy in a very public location tomorrow to take a look. Will have all the tools with just in case we do the deal. Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you make the trade and end up not liking the roof rack system I would like to check it out. Just joined the forum. Hello everyone

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think if we do it, then I'll throw it on. I leave on an elk hunting trip in 3 weeks, so will put in on and see if I like it. Can never have too much storage on a hunting trip but will certainly consider it.

Are you close to OK pit stop?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts