Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a bittersweet 11 months with her. No clue how this happened. She was parked in the driveway for over half an hour then boom. Brand new tires, wheels, hubs, and axle shafts.

Well. I gotta move on. Now looking for an LJ within 200 miles of Cincinnati. anything to look for in LJ's that is different from TJ's?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
:eek:

Wow that sucks, not the slightest idea of how that started?

Reactions: JakeTJG

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek:

Wow that sucks, not the slightest idea of how that started?
Absolutely zero. GF's dad is a mechanic and he thinks a fuel line fitting failed and spewed gas on the hot engine. FD couldn't pinpoint it.
Ouch, sorry to hear/see.

Sounds like you could use a beer...
If I drank I'd take one! Yeah I've taken it fairly lightly, but it was my first Jeep.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oh my... I am sorry for your loss... would be devastated if that happened to my Jeep

Reactions: JakeTJG

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's been a bittersweet 11 months with her. No clue how this happened. She was parked in the driveway for over half an hour then boom. Brand new tires, wheels, hubs, and axle shafts.

Well. I gotta move on. Now looking for an LJ within 200 miles of Cincinnati. anything to look for in LJ's that is different from TJ's?
That sucks. But you will love an LJ. Things to look out for: no rust, avoid the automatic transmission and know that the 6 speeds can be quirky (pops out of gear). And you will likely want to change the OPDA, easy $100 part that you can change in 30 minutes or less. Other than that, they are amazing and I wouldn't trade my LJ for anything.

If you can, swap over the goodies from your old TJ to the LJ, that's how I started my build. I had a TJ and bought a LJ to swap the aftermarket parts over to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sucks. But you will love an LJ. Things to look out for: no rust, avoid the automatic transmission and know that the 6 speeds can be quirky (pops out of gear). And you will likely want to change the OPDA, easy $100 part that you can change in 30 minutes or less. Other than that, they are amazing and I wouldn't trade my LJ for anything.

If you can, swap over the goodies from your old TJ to the LJ, that's how I started my build. I had a TJ and bought a LJ to swap the aftermarket parts over to.
sadly there really isn't anything to save.:rip:

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
98 TJ 4.0 Auto, 97 TJ 4.0 Manual, 98 TJ 2.5 Manual
613 Posts
Man...i cant even imagine if that happened to my tj....very sorry !
Did you at least have full coverage on it ? I know i dont and this is one of the things i worry about...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man...i cant even imagine if that happened to my tj....very sorry !
Did you at least have full coverage on it ? I know i dont and this is one of the things i worry about...
Just liability sadly.

Can anyone tell me the difference in feel between the 5 and 6 speed transmissions? I love the way my dad's white TJ's 5 speed feels. I've driven a JK's 6 speed and it felt so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Having ran an AX15 5 speed in my old TJ and the NSG370 6 speed in my 05 LJ, I prefer the 6 speed. Shifts very tight and smooth. The 5 speed was a little sloppy. But lots of people prefer the 5 speed over the 6 speed due to ease of finding parts and less quirky.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh wow, that really is tragic and sad at the same time....sorry.
I actually lost 2 vehicles to fire at the same time, a heavily modded Chevy Avalanche and an AWD GMC Safari van " wifes ".
AND caught a 3rd car on fire that i was able to quickly hop in and save with some minor burns to my face and arms, AWD eagle Talon Tsi.
It Sucks but i did however have full coverage on all 3.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having ran an AX15 5 speed in my old TJ and the NSG370 6 speed in my 05 LJ, I prefer the 6 speed. Shifts very tight and smooth. The 5 speed was a little sloppy. But lots of people prefer the 5 speed over the 6 speed due to ease of finding parts and less quirky.
When I drove the jk with the 6 speed, the shifter felt very soft. almost "electronic." is this the case with the LJ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
When I drove the jk with the 6 speed, the shifter felt very soft. almost "electronic." is this the case with the LJ?
Should be the same transmission in both jeeps. Mine feels tight, like a European car transmission. Of course, this is in comparison to the 5 speed in my old TJ. So probably not like a BMW or Mercedes, but it feels much tighter and more precise with shifting than the 5 speed did.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well I checked out an LJ today.... And I am now the proud owner! I pick her up saturday morning! Hard and soft tops, 33" bfgs on a 3" skyjacker short arm lift. She drives great.

Congrats. Post up pics when you can!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts