Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a set of the 31x10.5R15 Authorities for my rig, but I can't seem to find if they will fit 15x8 rims...

·
Registered
581 Posts
lapis_blue said:
Yea they will fit. I don't know if I would go with a Walmart tire. Thin side wall, but its your jeep.
I second this. I wouldn't go with ANYTHING Walmart quality on important parts on a vehicle that goes 65+ MPH. I just know too much about Walmart policy. If a product is not improved in two years the price must be reduced every year after. In other words companies are forced to drop the cost and eventually quality needs to drop or else they make no $$$.

There are so many threads on here about where to get lower cost tires I can't imagine you are saving that much going to Walmart.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I've got the tires I've got 12,000 miles on them, had no problems out of them, they show no wear. I do mostly just street driving they did great in the snow last year and the mud I've been in they did great.

On 15x8 Dick Cepeck DC-2

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
55$ per tire difference between the Authority and Duratracs. Plus, there is a 80$ rebate out for purchase of 4. That cuts the extra cost down to $140. It's worth spending the extra to get a much better tire. Even if it's your DD and you don't plan on doing much with it. Snow, mud, etc... You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I had the authorities on my old TJ. Great cheaper tire (2 ply sidewall) I wheeler on them and had great susccess and they are Goodyears.

Just because they are sold at Walmart doesnt mean their special made junk. Still made in the USA. To the exact same standards as the Duratrac, and id say after wheeling them.next to duratracs. They are just as good. They are just limited to 31"s. Same construction, slightly different tread. No loss in quality :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
IndyJeepMan said:
I had the authorities on my old TJ. Great cheaper tire (2 ply sidewall) I wheeler on them and had great susccess and they are Goodyears.

Just because they are sold at Walmart doesnt mean their special made junk. Still made in the USA. To the exact same standards as the Duratrac, and id say after wheeling them.next to duratracs. They are just as good. They are just limited to 31"s. Same construction, slightly different tread. No loss in quality :)
I would bet the farm they are not same specs. I have researched walmarts business practices extensively over the years and it is well documented that the big box stores change specs all the time to cut corners. For instance the weber grills at home depot are not the same as hardware stores. The three burner grill is cramed into the two burner shell. Skil tools at home depot have plastic gears. A Skil repair shop will not work on a Skil tool bought at home depot for that reason. There are so many good brands from the past that have been ruined by the big-box stores.

My advice is when it comes to safety don't skimp. The online reviews are very mixed and not kind to those tires.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Im just talking from personal experience.

Its a win win for both parties, walmart gets a select tire, goodyear gets increased market sells. Goodyear is damn near as big as most chain stores, they wouldn't put out a tire to hurt their reputation as the best tire manufacturer out there. IMO of course.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I still have awhile until I'm able to make a purchase (still in high school, not a ton of income ha.) But I'm leaning towards a set of them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I ran these tires on my 98, and now run them on my 06 LJ Rubicon. I can say I think they are the best overall tire I have ever ran! They are GREAT in snow, and have not had any concerns with either set. In fact, this morning I took advantage of the free lifetime balance and rotation.

When I was shopping tires last fall, nobody could/would come close to the Authorties price. I even asked a GY dealer about the Authorties. He said they were'nt as good as a "regular" GY. So I asked what the difference was? His reply was "I don't want to run down another dealers product!" I told him this was his chance to tell me what was "wrong" with the Authorties, and sell 5 MT/R's. He would/could not give me an answer!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got a set of 32" Wrangler Authorities to replace my stock Durawalls at 40,000 miles. Around $850 out the door for *five* mounted on 2006 TJ Rubicon. Coming up on 10,000 miles on the replacements now and couldn't be happier, they run smooth and quiet on pavement. Last month I was climbing rocks in the Appalachians and started rabbit hopping sideways off one gnarly obstacle with too much gas. Landed on the passenger rear hard enough to pop both beads off the rim and slightly bent (1/4") the axle flange.

That was Friday, couldn't run Saturday without a spare. Ran it 40 miles down the road to the nearest Wally World, tire mech was an offroader who told his manager they didn't need to run a ticket to put the tire back on my rim - no charge. I threw him a $20 anyway. Slapped it back on, that was 2,000 miles ago, no issues whatsoever.

This tire is made in the U.S.A. I don't think Goodyear would in any way risk their business reputation by placing defective shiat in stores of the world's largest retailer. The major difference is two-ply rating sidewalls compared to four-ply rating on premium Wrangler brands. I'll take Wal-Mart's price and service and knowledge that they are never far from any trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Goodyear Authority Tires

The Goodyear Authorities seem to be a good tire . I have about 700 miles on mine. P265x70x17. They were $180 each compared to $250 each for the Duratracs. They seem to ride well, look great, and handle well in snow and rain. Can't talk about wear yet as they are too new. I will say that they were difficult to balance. I had the walmart guy break down and rotate 3 of the 4 tires. The best we got "no external weights, .25 internal weight" The worst was "3.00 internal weight, 2.00 external weight. They were mounted on Black Rock steel rims.

·
Registered
263 Posts
wwch99tj said:
I've got the tires I've got 12,000 miles on them, had no problems out of them, they show no wear. I do mostly just street driving they did great in the snow last year and the mud I've been in they did great.

On 15x8 Dick Cepeck DC-2
Exactly the same here except on factory rims. I love them in mud and snow so far...

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have had mine for about a year now. Maybe 20,000 and still have tons of life left on them. I would say they are one of the better tires I have ever owned. I think they are perfect for a jeep. A buddy put them on his pickup and the didn't last at all. So I would say perfect for a jeep not so much for a heavier vehicle.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I run them on two out of 5 of my Jeeps. I do keep a set of swampers ready for hard off road use . But I would highly recommend GoodYear Wranglers for DD and light to med off road use

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a set of the 31x10.5R15 Authorities for my rig, but I can't seem to find if they will fit 15x8 rims...
They will fit,While that tire is Made by Goodyear Goodyear will not warranty it at any of their normal outlets warranty is only through Wal Mart.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Finally got out in some sloppy stuff today. Never got stuck...slipped a ton and threw some hefty mud!! These tires have been really great for my needs.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I checked 2 local Walmarts and they dont offer these tires at either stores. I called another wally world and they said they had 4 in the computer but the so called "tech" couldn't find them in the back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts