Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run these and what do you think about them.
Been pricing new tires for my rig and these seem to be the best deal around for a person on a very fixed income like mine.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Anyone run these and what do you think about them.
Been pricing new tires for my rig and these seem to be the best deal around for a person on a very fixed income like mine.
Which GY Wranglers are you looking at? They make everything from AT's to highway, Duratrac. MTR's etc.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Many of us have Duratrac's and love them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These would be the MTR with kevlar

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I run the plain old walmart wranglers (235's) on my daughters Blazer. They do reasonably well for an all terrain. The most severe limitations I've seen her have are due to the Blazer, not her tires. I've driven it across muddy, soft pastures and they did pretty well. They do well in what little snow we get. I'm pretty pleased with them for her rig, and I'll buy another set when these wear out.

Serious offroading? No.
I wouldn't be afraid to run on them on a Jeep for very light offroading, though.

EDIT*
I typed too soon lol. MTR's are a whole nother animal. They're what I plan on buying when the tires on my Jeep wear out. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Running those right now, stock size (brand new installed by dealer I bought it from 3 months ago) and have only run into a couple of situations off-road where I got stuck.

I'll be going same tread design on a retread when I up size but only because of the price difference.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Have had MTR's for about a month and love them so far, but haven't had the opportunity to wheel them yet...I'm sure they're going to be good..! Rubicon next month, I'll find out then.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've got Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar. Love them. Great grip offroad, quiet on the road, and if you take care of them, they'll last you 40k miles I've heard.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've used both the old model and newer model. My favorite tire so far by a long shot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have Goodyear Duratracs and as of now I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. They've made the difference for me a few times off road where I was sure that I would not make it and my tires at 8 or 10 psi did it like it was not thing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just bought my second set of Duratracs...couldn't be happier with them. I run E load range Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors on my diesel Sierra...those are great tires as well. I call them the BFG All Terrains of the Goodyear world...they even have a 50,000 mile warranty, something unheard of on an all-terrain.

Some Goodyears could be called crap...the above two, definitely not...

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Goodyear Wrangler Radial costs $86 apiece today (P235/75R15). They last about 15,000 miles on a Wrangler TJ - they came as stock tires on my original '97 TJ SE. The "P" in the size stands for "passenger car", the intended application. These tires are made to be cheap, as cheap as can be used to roll the Jeep out the factory door.

The Goodyear MT/R costs about $184 apiece (LT245/75R15), and lasts about 50,000 miles, more than 3X as much as the "cheap" tire. (They came as stock tires on my 2003 Rubicon TJ.) After you pay for the extra two sets of tires to be balanced and aligned, the cost of running the "cheap" tires is 2X the cost of running the premium tires, over 50,000 miles. Plus you have lost the use of the Jeep three times instead of once, while tires were installed.

In addition, the MT/R is 30" in diameter and the Wrangler Radial is 29" in diameter. The MT/R is high traction and the Wrangler Radial really blows offroad.

Any questions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
While I completely agree MT/Rs are great and Wrangler Radials leave something to be desired (the design is ancient...my grandfather's '91 XJ Sport had them on it brand new), I have never seen a set last only 15k miles. I have put them on countless used SUVs I've sold over the years...if they were wearing out by 15k, I would have a whole lot of angry customers...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm running 33x12.5x15 goodyear wrangler duratracs right now and have nothing to complain about. They're a little louder then your average all terrain tire on the road but they also have a bit more tread then your average all terrain tire. It's not too bad though, I just did a 6 hour highway trip with them no problem.
I've taken them off road a few times. In the mud they seem to be pretty decent then pretty much on the sand it's the same story.
So far they seem like a good all around tire for someone who drives there jeep a lot on the road and still takes it off road weekly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
While I completely agree MT/Rs are great and Wrangler Radials leave something to be desired (the design is ancient...my grandfather's '91 XJ Sport had them on it brand new), I have never seen a set last only 15k miles. I have put them on countless used SUVs I've sold over the years...if they were wearing out by 15k, I would have a whole lot of angry customers...
If you are a tire dealer, you don't even have access to the special order 2-ply "specification grade" tires that the factory puts on. These are made to - just barely - meet the DOT tire specifications, and cost half as much as the GY Wrangler Radials you can sell. Multiply the $100 saved per vehicle times the number of Wranglers sold, and that many millions of dollars are added to Chrysler's bottom line.

My '92 Cherokee XJ also had them, and they actually lasted 12,000 miles on that and little less on my TJ. Of course, the TJ was aired down and run in the dunes at Pizmo Beach, which gave the tires a nice matte finish, but cost me some rubber.

By "lasted", I mean the wear bars were showing between tread blocks. I replaced them on the XJ with Wrangler HT's, because the wife didn't go offroad, but those only lasted 15,000 miles. Then I gave up on Goodyear and used Bridgestones until I bought the WJ in 2001, and noticed that the Wrangler SR-A's were good tires. The original (pre-Kevlar) MT/R's on the 2003 Rubicon were the best offroad tires I ever owned.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Very happy with my MTR's w/Kevlar (33x12.5x15). I wheel mostly rocks/desert and they have held up well for almost 2 years, some minor chunking but that is to be expected. I plan to buy another set when I step up to 35's this winter.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Another for the MTRs. I only wheel rocks. No mud. They don't chunk and they grip the rocks like no other. And the reinforced sidewall just gives you a lot more confidence on the rocks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts