Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In March, I bought the Mopar Corning Gorilla Glass for my '14 JKU. Last month, a crack developed out of nowhere, and spread all across the inside pane of glass. I live in Southern California, and the windshield failed without ever seeing any real temperature extremes. The warranty process was so bad, I made a Youtube video about it to warn people about the it. Has anyone tried to file a warranty claim on these windshields when purchased not through the dealership?

I've been stuck in phone tree hell trying to get this addressed, and unless anyone has any solid leads, I'm at the point of giving up.

Here's my video explaining my process with FCA/Mopar/Corning so far.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats disappointing to hear they won’t cover it. I’ve had mine in for awhile now with no issues (fingers crossed). Good luck hopefully it’ll turn around.

Reactions: config

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,678 Posts
Gorilla Glass is a gimmick. Mine lasted 1 rock strike about 3 months after installation. Now I dont bother to replace windshields unless my view is directly idsrupted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gorilla Glass is a gimmick. Mine lasted 1 rock strike about 3 months after installation. Now I dont bother to replace windshields unless my view is directly idsrupted.
Mine has held up much better to large rocks over the non gorilla glass

Reactions: config

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I just use the OEM factory glass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats disappointing to hear they won’t cover it. I’ve had mine in for awhile now with no issues (fingers crossed). Good luck hopefully it’ll turn around.
I hope mine was a one-off failure, and I hope you don't have to go through this. I will not hold my breath for them to take care of me.

I wouldn't bother replacing a windshield, except in the past I was insured in South Carolina, which means free replacement up to every year is included, and doesn't affect the insurance premium. This crack runs directly through the middle of my field of view, and police in my area like to give tickets for all sorts of things.

Thanks for the video, I will not consider Gorilla Glass as a replacement for my cracked windshield
I think the glass is visibly clearer than standard glass. Also, the installer commented on how much lighter it is than regular glass. I was pretty happy with it before this happened, but this kind of failure, and warranty is certainly a dealbreaker.

I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcasm, or if you're trying to get their attention. Regardless, thanks for the chuckle.

I just use the OEM factory glass.
Aside from the graphics along the edges, is there a good reason to go with the Mopar OEM one over cheaper alternatives?

Thanks everyone for responding.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I really don't know that much about auto glass. But the Mfg usually puts a high quality glass in their windshields for many reasons. For a trail rig china glass would work. But a DD or a vehicle you really drive a lot OEM is a safe bet. I would think that some kind of warranty would be given on the Gorrila glass of some type. They even have U tube video on the stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't know that much about auto glass. But the Mfg usually puts a high quality glass in their windshields for many reasons. For a trail rig china glass would work. But a DD or a vehicle you really drive a lot OEM is a safe bet. I would think that some kind of warranty would be given on the Gorrila glass of some type. They even have U tube video on the stuff.
Thanks for the detailed response. The 2-year warranty was a huge selling point. Unfortunately, after more than 3 hours on the phone with FCA, Mopar, Dealerships and Corning, nobody has been able to process a warranty claim for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I went with a cheap generic when I replaced mine. The glass shop even said “see ya next year” when I departed. He said that knowing that no matter what windshield you put in a Wrangler, it’s gonna break. He even admitted Jeeps are what keeps him afloat. LOL.

Also, @JeepCares is FCA’s customer service arm that is a member here on WranglerForum. No need to get sassy about someone tagging them. They were just trying to help.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
They installed a faulty item. Dispute the charge on your CC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with a cheap generic when I replaced mine. The glass shop even said “see ya next year” when I departed. He said that knowing that no matter what windshield you put in a Wrangler, it’s gonna break. He even admitted Jeeps are what keeps him afloat. LOL.

Also, @JeepCares is FCA’s customer service arm that is a member here on WranglerForum. No need to get sassy about someone tagging them. They were just trying to help.
@Victor Ward , I'm sorry. I apologize for giving attitude. I didn't know that FCA is actually on this forum, and didn't bother to look into it until @The Rusty Jeep set me straight. I want to sincerely say thank you for tagging them. Also if @JeepCares is willing to offer help, contacting me via this forum is a good way to get in touch with me.

They installed a faulty item. Dispute the charge on your CC.
I don't think credit cards allow disputes 9 months after the payment. Regardless, it was a cash transaction, so it's not even a consideration. I don't hold it against the installer, since they only say they offer a 6 month warranty. I hold this against FCA Mopar and Corning, since they are the ones who claim a 2-year warranty.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,756 Posts
Safelite installs OEM windshields in mine. Three in eight years, 100% covered by my insurance..

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
My insurance company installed Gorilla Glass just because I asked. Cost me $50 buck. I do have a crack in mine but it is not in the sight line, I don't even know when it occurred but I do have a good idea of how it occurred.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My Jeep is about 6 years old and 111,000 miles now, so would one of you yahoos throw a rock at my windshield? I'd love a new one! Mine is an original and it's so sand blasted now that I can barely see out of it.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
My Jeep is about 6 years old and 111,000 miles now, so would one of you yahoos throw a rock at my windshield? I'd love a new one! Mine is an original and it's so sand blasted now that I can barely see out of it.
Get a good quality wax sealer and do the windshield, it will do wonders.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,678 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. The 2-year warranty was a huge selling point. Unfortunately, after more than 3 hours on the phone with FCA, Mopar, Dealerships and Corning, nobody has been able to process a warranty claim for me.
Uh, who installed it? Thats where the claim should be made.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uh, who installed it? Thats where the claim should be made.
Mr. Pink's Auto Glass in Thousand Oaks. I met with the owner, he's an independent shop owner and he told me his supplier is unable to offer anything after six months. He's a good guy. He advertises a six month warranty on any installation. I don't consider him liable for the claims by Mopar that there is a two year warranty from the date of installation. In my mind, Mopar should be on the hook for the claims that they made. At any rate, I'm curious to know what process he's supposed to go through that I haven't already been through myself.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The warranty and the terms are on the websuite for mopar gorrila glass.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts