Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,first off.I went to a local tire shop here where I live at,I looked at a set of 33x12.50/15 Nitto Grapplers AT.The guy said $595 for tires,mounted/balanced everything.Does this sound like a good deal?
I thought so,but I haven't priced these tires,so I am not sure.

Also,I got a Hardtop on my '97 TJ,it is a light brown(spice,I think)I would like for it to be black.Could I just prep and paint it or is that a stupid idea?
I would really like to have a soft top instead,but I'm not sure about trading b/c soft tops are cheaper than hard tops.Maybe I could trade with money to boot.Is that even a considerable idea and does anyone know where I could make this happen.I live in SC,so it never gets real cold and we rarely ever get any snow.
Just tell me what you guys think,that way I could get some idea if I am just a complete idiot or what?:eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal on tires, but I'm not sure what Nitto's go for. Usually you can get some good deals online, but most larger AT tires go for at least $130 or so. The only way you get really good deals online is if you get the combos with wheels.

Anyways, alot of online stores were running specials on Pro Comp tires, buy 3, get 1 free. I got a great deal on wheels/tires by going with ProComp.

Don't trade up your hard top. But if you really don't care to have it, sell it outright, then buy yourself a new hard top. Trading used for used is probably not the best way to go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you were closer to AR, I could trade you a top....I have a soft top just laying around.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My sugesstion would be to keep the hardtop, and buy a separate soft top. That way, if you have any regrets you could sell the soft top and paint the hardtop and put it back on.

If you loved the soft top enough to keep it on all year, then sell the hard top.

From what I've been told, just prep the hard top properly (sand & clean) and you can paint it whatever color you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.I will probably just do that,but the thing is too heavy for me to take off by myself,my wife helps,but not alot b/c she says it is just too heavy to pick up.I made a stand to put it on to where all I have to do is just pick it up a few inches and slide on the stand and strap it down to make sure it doesn't fall on my kids.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
From what I've been told, it doesn't seem to difficult to rig up some kind of lift. Just a pulley, rope, & 2x4's . Oh, and somewhere to lift it, like a rafter or garage ceiling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea,they don't sound too bad to come up with and build.The only problem I have is that I don't have a garage just yet.It's a matter of time before I do build one though.My wife always says that I can't just build something and keep it simple,I have to build a massive something.I guess its true to look around and see somt things I have built in the past.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i say just buy a soft top and store your hard top. thats what im doing today matter a fact. in a few minutes im driving to a storage building to put my hard top in there and im buying a soft top from a guy. soft tops are cheap so u could keep both.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
You can paint the top, I have a tan top on a yellow jeep and am going to be doing the same thing. Doesn't look too bad like it is but it just doesn't seem right. If you paint it, sand it ar run some steel wool over it, clean it real good to get all the dust off, then use the Krylon Fusion paint. That stuff is nice on any surface. Don't sell it, find a used soft top to alternate with. I'll be switching between the hard top and a bikini top this summer.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I've seen people paint tops before and am preatty sure i will see it again.. Its not bad its just a bit tough but with some care it can come out better than it did from the factory. I'm thinking of painting the underside of my top since i dont like the white color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts