Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had my 02 TJ for going on 3 years now. 117k straight 6 automatic. 3" lift 33x12.5 on craiger soft 8s. Shes my daily driver. My issue is tonight I went to a few places, jeep ran as normal. Headed to the gas station to fill up and for some reason I deicided to turn my key only one click back twards me to leave my music on and my lights. Put 10 bucks in jumped back in the jeep turned the key forward and nothing. Turned it completely off then tried to start her agian and the dash lights flickered and then nothing...

So I tried a few more times before I noticed a small christmas bulb looking light to the left of my steering wheel flashing faster then it ever had. I had a beeping sound like from a heart monitor at one point also.

The jeep is now home but it's dark out so i'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it into the garage and take a look, but anyone have any ideas? I have a black key just so you know.

:Thanx:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does your Jeep have an aftermarket alarm? My Jeeps previous owner put one on and mine didnt start once because of it, so I took it off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check the battery. Check the charge and the water level.
Ask me how I know? Costco sold me a battery yesterday.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm that you may have inadvertently activated with a key action.

Trace that bulb to the source and fish the wires off the black box that the bulb is attached to... most likely you will find it tied to the ignition under the column somewhere.. and some lights,,, starter and possible a shock sensor or two.

Once you have determined what is where and decide to pull the box..... Disconnect your battery FIRST.... then proceed. Most of the wires should be fairly easy to remove... couple of tough one you may run into, if they have a starter lockout... wire is cut then looped through the box and relay.... could be short to put it back together.

This is all saying that IF you do have an aftermarket alarm of course... lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, I checked all my simple stupid stuff to make sure everything was in check. I don't know if there's an aftermarket alarm on the jeep but the flashing red light is to the left of the steering wheel on the lower part of the mid dash. (have not seen this on other jeeps) I'm 99.9% sure this is some sort of anti theft device that has kicked in somehow or my ecu is completely fried. Any way to disarm the anti theft device? From reading I know Cherokees have a pattern where you lock and then unlock the door or something if it gets locked out and then you can start it. Anything similar with the TJ?

I will know for sure if it's an aftermarket alarm or not when I get home from work today and trace that line from the bulb.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Like TnDz stated, follow the wire from that red light to its source. It does sound like an aftermarket alarm led status light. If thats the case, that led wire will lead you to the alarm box. D/C the battery before rewiring. Unplug the alarm harness plug. More than likely the ignition kill is on causing the no start. Look at the steering column wiring bundle for a spliced wire to the alarm, probably a large Yellow wire(starter wire). If so, remove the alarm wires and re-attach the cut wire. You can leave the alarm harness attached w/o the box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like TnDz stated, follow the wire from that red light to its source. It does sound like an aftermarket alarm led status light. If thats the case, that led wire will lead you to the alarm box. D/C the battery before rewiring. Unplug the alarm harness plug. More than likely the ignition kill is on causing the no start. Look at the steering column wiring bundle for a spliced wire to the alarm, probably a large Yellow wire(starter wire). If so, remove the alarm wires and re-attach the cut wire. You can leave the alarm harness attached w/o the box.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get home in a few hours. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to respond to this post so everyone who posted knows the outcome.

I came home, and the flashing red indicator light was solid red as opposed to flashing. Put the key in and starter buzzed as in batt. was dead. Jumped it and it started right up.................................

No idea what happened, or why I got "locked out" so to speak but it seems fine now. Cleaned and greased my batt. terminals just to be safe and now we are good to go again! Thank god this wasnt a "just empty every pocket" case. :punk:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok question Nick. What color is your key, because if its grey your Jeep is equiped with the factory SKIM system and from the symptoms it sounds like your SKIM key is failing to sync with the system.

·
Registered
141 Posts
wolfsbone01 said:
Ok question Nick. What color is your key, because if its grey your Jeep is equiped with the factory SKIM system and from the symptoms it sounds like your SKIM key is failing to sync with the system.
Last line in original post says black key

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just wanted to respond to this post so everyone who posted knows the outcome.

I came home, and the flashing red indicator light was solid red as opposed to flashing. Put the key in and starter buzzed as in batt. was dead. Jumped it and it started right up.................................

No idea what happened, or why I got "locked out" so to speak but it seems fine now. Cleaned and greased my batt. terminals just to be safe and now we are good to go again! Thank god this wasnt a "just empty every pocket" case. :punk:
:thumb:
Check the water level in the battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts