Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what happened was me and my girl friend just got back to the jeep in the underground and i had backed my jeep into the stall we were just sitting in the jeep for a few minutes letting it warm up.. etc the this fellow pulls in to the spot next to me.. the driver side and he comes in and hits me! and im still in park not doing a damn thing and this fool hits i was just in a state of shock, any ways i get out of my truck and i looks like he only brushed up against my wheel... he wasnt going very fast or on a direct approach it just looked like he rub me his bumper was messed a bit he was driving some sort of infinity car.. but i was driving home nothing felt wrong or seemed feel bad, should i still take it in, will it need a wheel alignment or anything?

·
Registered
26,909 Posts
Did you call the police and get a report filed? If not you're probably screwed.

Moderator's Note: Let's keep the "Mall Crawling" Comments to a minimum please. :)

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
^ most important thing you can do in the event of contact no matter how big or small. Always file a police report. Hope you were able to with this.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
He must have mistaken you for a Hummer.

Glad everyone was okay!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had 2 different people at fault for 2 different Jeep accidents. Call your insurance and report it. They will probably have an adjuster look at it. If it is under your deductible, your insurance will probably not do anything. Then ask them to "open" a file with the other insurance company (the one from the person who hit you). Ask your insurance for the contact information of the other insurance company. Some companies are so large, it's good to get who your insurance company talked to. Call the "other insurance" co, get a name, file #, & FAX #, and FAX them the adjuster's report. Get the $, go to a Jeep dealer for the fix.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Chewtoy said:
I had 2 different people at fault for 2 different Jeep accidents. Call your insurance and report it. They will probably have an adjuster look at it. If it is under your deductible, your insurance will probably not do anything. Then ask them to "open" a file with the other insurance company (the one from the person who hit you). Ask your insurance for the contact information of the other insurance company. Some companies are so large, it's good to get who your insurance company talked to. Call the "other insurance" co, get a name, file #, & FAX #, and FAX them the adjuster's report. Get the $, go to a Jeep dealer for the fix.
Be careful of this-even in no fault states, if you call and open a comp claim-it could be considered a claim wether any money is paid out or not. Comp claims are considered when adj time comes for most vehicle insurers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
so what happened was me and my girl friend just got back to the jeep in the underground and i had backed my jeep into the stall we were just sitting in the jeep for a few minutes letting it warm up.. etc the this fellow pulls in to the spot next to me.. the driver side and he comes in and hits me! and im still in park not doing a damn thing and this fool hits i was just in a state of shock, any ways i get out of my truck and i looks like he only brushed up against my wheel... he wasnt going very fast or on a direct approach it just looked like he rub me his bumper was messed a bit he was driving some sort of infinity car.. but i was driving home nothing felt wrong or seemed feel bad, should i still take it in, will it need a wheel alignment or anything?
It sounds like you and your girlfriend felt the impact and it must not have been much. You describe a glancing blow that may have scuffed your tire. I presume you processed how the impact felt and how the damage(scuff) appeared before working things out with the other driver. Jeeps can take quite a beating. By the way you describe it, you're probably good.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I don't know where you all live but in AZ an accident in a parking lot is private property therefore the police cannot do anything. A parking lot accident is a nightmare for us and the insurance company unless someone is admitting fault which is few and far between. It usually comes down to filing a comprehensive claim on your own insurance.

-Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like you and your girlfriend felt the impact and it must not have been much. You describe a glancing blow that may have scuffed your tire. I presume you processed how the impact felt and how the damage(scuff) appeared before working things out with the other driver. Jeeps can take quite a beating. By the way you describe it, you're probably good.
yeah i hope so will this affect my 4x4 or anthing to that nature, i have to wait to take it in, till insurence gets a hold of the other guy, i havent felt any difference i just wannna make sure the jeep wont break down on me on the trail

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do not call the police for something so minor. The reason? They take down your VIN, it then goes into a public police report... then *BAM*, Carfax pics up your VIN and your vehicle gets the equivalent of the scarlet letter... come sale time, the new owner will question the 'accident' and your used car value drops even more.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do not call the police for something so minor. The reason? They take down your VIN, it then goes into a public police report... then *BAM*, Carfax pics up your VIN and your vehicle gets the equivalent of the scarlet letter... come sale time, the new owner will question the 'accident' and your used car value drops even more.
Excellent point. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also regarding calling the police, unless there is an injury they will not take a report for a minor accident on private property, ie a parking lot.

·
Registered
717 Posts
relative

You are driving own the road and your vehicle hits a chuckhole that created the same impact as you noticed when the other driver hit your tire. Would you expect any damage?

Hard to comprehend that there would be any damage, other than an alignment issue IF it was hit hard enough to jar you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Take it in to *check* the alignment.....hopefully the hit wasn't hard enough to bend anything.

·
dirt road inspector
2,974 Posts
Moderator's Note: Let's keep the "Mall Crawling" Comments to a minimum please.
Bummer. When my fellow mall crawlers have a problem I like to commiserate.

Be careful of this-even in no fault states, if you call and open a comp claim-it could be considered a claim wether any money is paid out or not. Comp claims are considered when adj time comes for most vehicle insurers.
This is exactly correct. Don't do it unless you have major damage.

·
Registered
157 Posts

most of the reports are gotten when you file an insurance claim.. insurers report any and all claims to CLUE

many insurance company roadside assistance perks they have report road side assistance to CLUE too.

that can portray you as not very responsible or you drive an ill maintained car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, parking lots are a 'no fault' zone. Won't do any good to file a police report. If you are experiencing any damages, you'd have to look towards your own insurance company, and for something like that, I'd say it would not be prudent to do so in terms of possible rate increases, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts