Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving straight the other day (the light was green) going 45mph and a woman made an illegal left turn and drove straight into my Jeep.

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw scraps of metal all over the floor, so I assumed the worst. When the police came, they asked where she hit me, and I said the complete right side but I don't want to see how bad the damages are. The officer laughed at me and said I don't have any damages.

Apparently the woman's toyota corolla was so much lower then my stock Jeep, that all she hit was my side step and took a big chunk out of my rim. My side step is kind of pushed in also, I'm really hoping it is the side step thats bent and not the body.

The Jeep is drive-able. I couldn't not go back to school, so I drove 7 hours north to school the next day.
But every once in a while I hear a faint squeak. Its so random and quiet, I can't replicate it, and I'm worried the mechanics won't know where its coming from, or won't even look for it because they can't hear it themselves.

Well, I just wanted to share my story. A toyota corolla was totaled, while my Jeep Wrangler drove away without a scratch. :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was driving straight the other day (the light was green) going 45mph and a woman made an illegal left turn and drove straight into my Jeep.

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw scraps of metal all over the floor, so I assumed the worst. When the police came, they asked where she hit me, and I said the complete right side but I don't want to see how bad the damages are. The officer laughed at me and said I don't have any damages.

Apparently the woman's toyota corolla was so much lower then my stock Jeep, that all she hit was my side step and took a big chunk out of my rim. My side step is kind of pushed in also, I'm really hoping it is the side step thats bent and not the body.

The Jeep is drive-able. I couldn't not go back to school, so I drove 7 hours north to school the next day.
But every once in a while I hear a faint squeak. Its so random and quiet, I can't replicate it, and I'm worried the mechanics won't know where its coming from, or won't even look for it because they can't hear it themselves.

Well, I just wanted to share my story. A toyota corolla was totaled, while my Jeep Wrangler drove away without a scratch. :thumb:
Did they find the woman? Is she squeaking somewhere under your Jeep?:rofl:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha she was upset because her car was totaled and my Jeep didn't even have a scratch.

I know the doors are off, but heres the side where she hit me, at the right rear wheel and you can see theres no damage.

You can, however, sort of see the chip on my rim on the bottom left side of it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres a close-up of the damage. Nothing bad. It was hard to take a picture of how my side-step was bent in, but compare it with a new side-step and you'll notice mine doesn't align with the fender.

Now here's a question for y'all because I don't exactly know how those side steps are attached... do you think its the body of the Jeep underneath that was bent, or the bracket of the side-step that was bent? Because if it was the bracket of the side-step, I feel like it'll be much cheaper... Hell, I can probably bend it back myself.

I apologize ahead of time, anything on the paint that looks like scratches is just dirt. My Jeep is dirty, as it should be :rofl:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're looking at these pictures and saying "man this kid exaggerated his story" (like the rest of my friends did), I just really wish I had a picture of this ladies Toyota, or what was left of it before they pushed it to the side of the road and got it towed. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Since it looks like the wheel took a decent hit, make sure wherever you take it checks out the rear axle/suspension etc. Glad it didn't get ya any worse.

·
Registered
94 Posts
redz1 said:
Now here's a question for y'all because I don't exactly know how those side steps are attached... do you think its the body of the Jeep underneath that was bent, or the bracket of the side-step that was bent? Because if it was the bracket of the side-step, I feel like it'll be much cheaper... Hell, I can probably bend it back myself.
a bracket connects under the body then to the side rail. Unfortunately the bracket looks like 1/8 or 3/16 inch steel and the body is probably 16 gauge, so my guess is the body would bend more than the bracket. Might not be major but probably going to need a little body work. I wouldn't even consider a self fix if the lady was at fault though. I'd be surprised if jeep would sell the bracket alone without buying a new side rail too, seems the trend these days. Why sell replacement pieces when you can make them buy a whole new unit? (yes...I did just say unit). If you know someone who works with metal, the bracket would be easy to fab up though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It would be a good idea to get a claim filed and have an insurance adjuster look at it. There is probably more damage than you realize.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Wow...I'm now a firm believer in the thinking that Jeeps are tanks. I was rear-ended last Thursday & the Tahoe that hit me looks way worse. At first glance you couldn't tell there was any damage. It's at the body shop being examined. For sure I'll need a new spare cover.

Your Jeep looks great for being in a side impact. Hope everything gets fixed. Her insurance is covering it right?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hope everything gets fixed. Her insurance is covering it right?
We're waiting on the police report before we file the claim but they should cover it...

My mom used to hate my Jeep. She thought it was unsafe. Now she's strutting around to all of her friends talking about how her son drives a "tank". lol

·
Registered
771 Posts
We're waiting on the police report before we file the claim but they should cover it...

My mom used to hate my Jeep. She thought it was unsafe. Now she's strutting around to all of her friends talking about how her son drives a "tank". lol
Shit, they better cover it. If the woman was at fault they have to cover it. I would switch your wheel for the spare. Like yesterday. the that wheel off the vehicle now! The tire could come off and then you will have one hell of a problem.
Other than that, good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts