Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my RENTAL car on my way to pick up my Jeep from the dealership (was in for possible ticking head). The Dodge Avenger took the hit for my baby (or that's what I keep telling myself).

I got side swiped by a transport truck who thought he had more room then he did. I was approaching the left turn lane slowly as there was a car in front of me at the light and I guess the truck driver either felt I was going too slow or maybe thought I was turning into the plaza? Anyways he cut out into the oncoming traffic lane (this is an big rig transport truck) to my left (driver side) and cut back in between me and the center median. His back two wheels hit the front wheel well of the Avenger I was renting and then he tried to take off!

I chased him down and got his insurance information but he refused to provide me with his name and got in the truck and left. Police said they would not attend as no one was hurt and said the slip he provided was enough. All the insurance slip had was the insurance company name, policy number, and his companies name but not any driver info.

My insurance covers the rental (as I opted out of the rental insurance) but waiting to hear if they deem me at fault or not. It seems like such an oddball story that even I would say I would full of crap but it happened... only in Toronto.

Oh I picked up my Jeep after I dropped off the rental =p

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my RENTAL car on my way to pick up my Jeep from the dealership (was in for possible ticking head). The Dodge Avenger took the hit for my baby (or that's what I keep telling myself).

I got side swiped by a transport truck who thought he had more room then he did. I was approaching the left turn lane slowly as there was a car in front of me at the light and I guess the truck driver either felt I was going too slow or maybe thought I was turning into the plaza? Anyways he cut out into the oncoming traffic lane (this is an big rig transport truck) to my left (driver side) and cut back in between me and the center median. His back two wheels hit the front wheel well of the Avenger I was renting and then he tried to take off!

I chased him down and got his insurance information but he refused to provide me with his name and got in the truck and left. Police said they would not attend as no one was hurt and said the slip he provided was enough. All the insurance slip had was the insurance company name, policy number, and his companies name but not any driver info.

My insurance covers the rental (as I opted out of the rental insurance) but waiting to hear if they deem me at fault or not. It seems like such an oddball story that even I would say I would full of crap but it happened... only in Toronto.

Hopefully you have his license plate number ... As for the police in Ontario (including Toronto), they are so busy trying to make 'quota' with speeding tickets they don't have time to attend minor accidents.. I would have thought that having someone leave the scene of an accident and refuse to give you his name would be grounds for police involvement?

As an aside, you might be interested in a site.... stop100.ca its a site that is attempting to encourage more reasonable and realistic speed limits as everyone drives about 20 km over the limit anyway, which is safe.. although like shooting ducks in a barrel for the police when they need to write more tickets.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Man I was in Toronto today, up from London for work and we almost got sideswiped by a trucker too....

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does not matter what the insurance card says. Report it to the insurance, and report it to his company. The company will know which driver was where at any given time. Let them know he left the scene of an accident. It may get him fired.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm very surprised OPP would not come out, at least to investigate why the heck the guy would not provide his identification...? Maybe he wasn't even insured or supposed to be driving the truck?
Glad you're ok and it wasn't your Jeep that got shmucked.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm a NEWB here so not familiar with what I can or can't say (so I may get banned for this), I do drive a truck for a living in AB, all oversize oilfield equipment and I did drive all over North America for 15 years, there are so many unqualified, unlicensed, uninsured or underinsured truck drivers out there (all "New Canadians") that it's destroying the industry and putting peoples lives at risk.

Hopefully you can get this sorted out with his company (IF he gave you valid info). I have had many run in's with these types of people and it really irritates me to hear this type of problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts