Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got this hardtop for a steal. I had to drive 2.5 hours each way to get it but I think it was worth it.
It needs a little glass and trim repair.
I just ordered the glass and a bunch of stuff for it. Hopefully it will be arriving over the next week or so.
I was thinking about spraying it with raptor liner before getting the glass in it.
What do you think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The doors are off 2 different years but they both fit.
The green and black one is a 90 and the black one is a 95.
They just need a little tlc.
Both regulators are good. :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do it, I raptor lined mine inside and out several years ago.

It still looks like the day I sprayed it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the hole on the drivers rear quarter cleaned out pretty good this afternoon.
I'll take another look at it before the glass gets here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do it, I raptor lined mine inside and out several years ago.

It still looks like the day I sprayed it.

Looks good man.
How much Raptor liner did it take to cover and how many coats did you put on it?

·
Super Moderator
11,151 Posts
Raptor liner will add some weight and if it isn't put on fairly smooth, it'll be difficult to clean. Mine looked to be in about the same condition when I bought it. I simply scrubbed it well with a green scotchbrite pad and soapy water. Then I sprayed it with semi-gloss black lacquer. It's held up well for 6+ years.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: macr0w

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you don't mind the satin finish, you can paint it with a foam roller and slightly thinned latex satin house paint. That's what I did to the shell on my Bronco ages ago. It looked great and held up pretty darn well!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Raptor liner will add some weight and if it isn't put on fairly smooth, it'll be difficult to clean. Mine looked to be in about the same condition when I bought it. I simply scrubbed it well with a green scotchbrite pad and soapy water. Then I sprayed it with semi-gloss black lacquer. It's held up well for 6+ years.

Good Luck, L.M.
How much weight do you think it would add?

A four quart kit weighs about 8 pounds, and a third of that weight disapates as the solvents gas out.

·
Super Moderator
11,151 Posts
How much weight do you think it would add?

A four quart kit weighs about 8 pounds, and a third of that weight disapates as the solvents gas out.

By doing the math, the liner would add over 5 pounds. Probably not enough to make a big difference to a guy with a hardtop lift or two guys removing & installing it.

I'd mask off the area where the glass adhesive goes in case there might be adhesion issues between the liner and the adhesive.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright guys, I worked on my doors a little bit today.
I pulled the vent windows, the glass and all the rubber off of both doors and cleaned them up a little bit.
I also pulled the lock cylinders to see about getting new ones with a key that actually works.
I'm going to paint this crazy yellow/green door black at some point. I lightly sanded it for a minute to reveal a decal that was on there from a previous life. You can see the newer door has the longer top hinge with the mirror mount on the hinge like the half doors. The older door has the old CJ mirror mounts. I have my mirrors mounted to the windshield so I won't be using either.
Even though one of these is a 90 and the other is a 95 there are very few differences between them.
Also some dummy tore up all the torx screws on these hinges. If I ever want to remove them I'll have to cut them off.
I have a bunch of parts coming in the mail at some point. :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to find at least one of the threaded push rods that run from the inside door release to the lock mechanism.
Any thoughts on that? :unsure:

·
Los Angeles
1,060 Posts
SgtJeep
60th and, W Ave A, Rosamond, CA 93560
(661) 209-2552

Look up SgtJeep on Facebook, if you have it, and you can asked them for whatever you need.

SgtJeep is owned by a veteran, a great guy and a great father.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I did a thread about installing quarter glass on this forum. Hopefully you get a piece that fits right. I ended up buying used glass due to the new stuff not having the right curve.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a thread about installing quarter glass on this forum. Hopefully you get a piece that fits right. I ended up buying used glass due to the new stuff not having the right curve.
Yeah?
Let's hope that's not the case with mine. :oops:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did discover something interesting today.
I have one door with a 13 spline window regulator and one door with a 16 spline regulator.
Do you think anyone makes the same handle in both 13 and 16 spline?
Of course not. :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sounds like your buying two sets. That sucks.

·
Super Moderator
11,151 Posts
If it's that big of an issue about the window crank handles, you could change the regulator on one side to match the regulator on the other side.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it's that big of an issue about the window crank handles, you could change the regulator on one side to match the regulator on the other side.

Good Luck, L.M.
Yeah, That's what I was thinking but new ones are like $90.00. :oops:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts