Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K so I got my parts in today from 4WD.com ( they were awesome, price matched 199.95 from rompalicious.com, plus free shipping) but I have some questions.

One, I see two different types of boots. I will be going to autozone to get the energy suspension boots but only one part number for those.

Second, if you look at the pic with the smooth boot, I doesn't look like its on correctly. The lip isn't even all the way around but it doesn't budge much. The other ones come right off after I take off the castle nut. Is this normal ?

This isn't my first time with TRs and TREs, but this made me think for a moment.

I can tell you one thing, if the curry setup is even more heavy duty than this, wow 0_o !!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
seriously? no one has this same setup?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ordered and installed one about a month ago. The boots sit better once it is in place but a better lip would be nice. I painted mine before installing to slow the rust process. Also had one of the adjustment lock bolts on the tie rod strip when tightening it to the correct torque - bought some grade 8 bolts from autozone to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm gonna throw an extra coat of paint on it as well, especially since the dampner came in white.

But what I was referring to as far as the boots, did you find a need to replace the boots with others, or have they been good so far? I have read on multiple forums (just trolling around really) that they started cracking around 500 miles. The suggestion has been so far to replace with new during initial install.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Once I installed it they hold the grease in fine and seemed to fit better once tightened up. If they crack I'll pull it off and replace them, so I will be running with what it came till they give me trouble, it's not a big deal to remove this item in the future for maintenance.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have the same set up. I bought the Energy Suspension dust boots after reading cracking problems with the ones that come with the kit. I should have painted the tire rod before the installation because there is some minor surface rust and I live in dry Arizona.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts