Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got the lock right locker in my dana 35. I also went with the USA Alloy 4140 27 spline axles. So far I drove it around town and it is not to bad. It clicks a little more then the front locker, or maybe the combo of the two of them is just louder. I wanted to start this tread to document how it does and how long it lasts because everyone seems to think it will break just pulling out of the driveway. I know there are probably a lot of guys out there that want to do the same but are afraid to do so. The first trip out with it will be on the 20th of Oct to a hard canyon with some nasty water falls. I had to winch up two of them last time out with no locker and just a rear trac lock. Now im locked front and rear. I will post how it does and if it breaks or not. Im running on 285/75-16's 3.73's and an auto.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
No one has said it will fail with a locker when aftermarket alloy shafts have also been installed as you did. So long as you stick with nothing bigger than 33" tires and keep off the gas in tough situations, your alloy shaft upgrade will do a lot toward keeping things together.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we will see how the usa alloy axles do and if the ring and pinion are now the weak link. I think it will be just fine and 33's will be the limit until I put in a different rear end or upgrade to a super 35. I just want to tell my story as I go. Thanks guys.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
The R&P isn't really that much of a weak link in the Dana 35. Within reason, they hold up fine with full case lockers and even 35" tires when Superior Axle's Super 35 kit has been installed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am pretty easy on the Right Pedal & have been running a Powertrax No Slip in My TJ's Dana 35 with stock shafts for over 2 years with out problems however I know it's a weak link,Running 31" Duratracs

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm the same. I don't like to use brute force to make it up obstacles. I do like to use the famous bump if I can't walk right up it. It worked good with the LSD so I can't wait to see how this locker does.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I work as a melter in an investment casting foundry and cant believe that 4140 is such a good axle. its (metalurgicaly speaking) good but not great. I would think that a low nitrogen nickel chrome-molly alloy would do better as there is less chance for impurities or weak points. something like 12-f 3c, maybe I should get my boss to let me pour a new gear and axle set for my Dana 35. hmmmm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I wanted the 4340 axles but I couldn't get myself to spend the 600.00 on the superior kit. I thought if I did that I might as well go the whole way and do the super 35. I tried to understand the differences between the 4140 and 4340 but I couldn't get my head around it. All I know is the USA alloy axles have a 10 year warranty. Good enough for me!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thomas302 said:
Well I wanted the 4340 axles but I couldn't get myself to spend the 600.00 on the superior kit. I thought if I did that I might as well go the whole way and do the super 35. I tried to understand the differences between the 4140 and 4340 but I couldn't get my head around it. All I know is the USA alloy axles have a 10 year warranty. Good enough for me!
steel is iron and impurities. the alloy of steel your going to have depends directly on what percent of which impurities there are. this constitutes different strengths, weaknesses and so on. its easier to understand if you do it or see it done I promise.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
All I know is the USA alloy axles have a 10 year warranty. Good enough for me!
Ask Larry Nickell, associate editor at Crawl Magazine (a HARD core offroad vehicle building magazine) about how he snapped his Dana 44's 35 spline Alloy USA rear axle shaft while doing a trail out at Johnson Valley. I saw it out at JV right after it snapped right in half... a 35 spline axle shaft! Its 10 year warranty may have given him another shaft but Larry is now running Superior Axle axle shafts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I wanted the 4340 axles but I couldn't get myself to spend the 600.00 on the superior kit.
Are the Superior Evolution kits available? I haven't been able to find them for some time. In addition, I've read quite a few posts lately from customers languishing in "back-order hell". And now there are reports of warranty issues with Evolution series axles due to their lack of availability.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
I spoke to Mac, GM at Superior Axle, about two weeks ago about a different subject but before we hung up, I asked about their well-known backlog. He agreed it has been a real challenge for them but that with some changes they have made, they are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel and expect the backlog to start shrinking very soon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure I didn't even call them. I also heard that they are getting hard to get but not sure if that is true. Maybe there are a lot more people are doing the super 35 kits but just not talking about it. lol I think thats the route I will eventually go. I just want to see how long this locked 35 last.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I spoke to Mac, GM at Superior Axle, about two weeks ago about a different subject but before we hung up, I asked about their well-known backlog. He agreed it has been a real challenge for them but that with some changes they have made, they are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel and expect the backlog to start shrinking very soon.
That is wonderful news! I was looking at the Ten Factory axles, but would prefer the 4340 (evolution... NOT discovery) from Superior.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a gread day in Carnage Canyon. The only Carnage was one of my braided brake lines braking leaving me with no brakes for a short time. Not fun. The locked dana 35 did awesome. Being locked front and rear make hard trails not so hard. So there is one time out with it. Ill keep this record going till I brake it or change it out. Here is some pics. They dont do the trail justice.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Any updates on your locked dana 35 and 30? Thinking about doing the same thine with my TJ.
Locking a stock Dana 35 would be a bad decision. Like driving without seatbelts, it may be ok for a while but sooner or later, you'd regret the decision.

Not to mention that many people, me included, are not especially happy when someone in the group being wheeled with breaks their locked Dana 35 axle. That can cause lost hours on the trail for a whole bunch of people who won't appreciate that the owner should have known better than to lock their Dana 35. Only the inexperienced & naive or those who won't listen to others lock stock Dana 35 axles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts