Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Yesterday I got myself a 2000 TJ and I am very excited about it. I still have to get the title transferred to my name and get a new set of plates. Before I head to the DMV I need to pick between Comprehensive or Third Party Liability Insurance. I was wondering for a 2000 TJ do I need to get the comprehensive coverage or am I fine with the TPI.

All state provided me with the following quotes

1) CI = $240 for 6 months
2) TPI = $120 for 6 Months

Any suggestions much appreciated !!

Thanks

Jacob

·
Registered
340 Posts
For me, I do comprehensive on my 99 TJ because the market value on it is still relatively high, but it's a game of risk tolerance.

Remember, you can always drop the comprehensive later, and your monthly payment should immediately drop.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could also raise your deductible if you want to lower the insurance. Again, it's a risk tolerance game.

I've been driving 25 years, and never needed a claim against my comprehensive. However, aside from my driving habits and record (kinda perfect driving record), past record of needing comprehensive isn't and indicator of whether you'll need it in the future.

I had comprehensive on my 11 year-old 34' travel trailer and was thinking about getting rid of it. Glad I didn't because the frame buckled on it last fall, and it got totaled out at over $13k. That was worth the extra few bucks a month. It was my first comprehensive claim ever, and has likely more than paid for all comprehensive coverage I've paid.

Not sure I've helped with all the extra info there ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PhotoTrail, thanks your reply definitely helps. I for the time being have take up only TPI but plan to move back to comprehensive once I start using my Jeep as a DD. As of now I use it only over the weekends,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts