Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Got my MB Wheels TKO on!

28K views 72 replies 30 participants last post by  dcknight 
#1 ·
I finally got them on last night! They look awesome! Still waiting on the 5th to get here though. Next will be a lift, I know I want a Teraflex lift, just not sure if I need the shock absorber one or the more expensive one with suspension. Anyways here's some pics!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
A dealership can actually flash his computer to calibrate up to 32.1 tires. They can adjust the speedo up to this size but not higher. Since your new tires are 32.5 it's very close and will be nearly perfect unless you want to get the AEV it's not totally necessary. I did this and I have the same set up. Speedo is dead on with GPS and checked against another car driving the same speed.

I apologize for the leveling kit recommendation, I have been responding to several other "need lift now" threads about them and just spouted that out. If you are looking a BB or a real suspension lift. Teraflex 2.5 with coils and shocks is very nice and would look great with your new tires/wheels. You can get it for about $750 from most vendors here and save money by doing the install your self or with friends.

#7 ·
A dealership can actually flash his computer to calibrate up to 32.1 tires. They can adjust the speedo up to this size but not higher. Since your new tires are 32.5 it's very close and will be nearly perfect unless you want to get the AEV it's not totally necessary. I did this and I have the same set up. Speedo is dead on with GPS and checked against another car driving the same speed.

I apologize for the leveling kit recommendation, I have been responding to several other "need lift now" threads about them and just spouted that out. If you are looking a BB or a real suspension lift. Teraflex 2.5 with coils and shocks is very nice and would look great with your new tires/wheels. You can get it for about $750 from most vendors here and save money by doing the install your self or with friends.
I got them installed at a Discount Tire shop an they did switch over the TPMS and flash my computer to calibrate it. So far so good, no warning lights lol. No worries about mentioning the lift kit. I was thinking one of these
TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kits - Quadratec=

But was not sure what to get. I dont think Id want the cheapest one and since I dont really offroad that the second one would be good, but then why not be safe and go for the $730. one?
Also has anyone ever worried about not getting the lift kit put on by the dealer since it could possibly affect the warranty if something happens to the powertrain? At least thats what they were saying when I got the jeep.

#9 ·
I got them installed at a Discount Tire shop an they did switch over the TPMS and flash my computer to calibrate it. So far so good, no warning lights lol. No worries about mentioning the lift kit. I was thinking one of these
TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kits - Quadratec=

But was not sure what to get. I dont think Id want the cheapest one and since I dont really offroad that the second one would be good, but then why not be safe and go for the $730. one?
I have the TF 2.5 coil lift with shocks $750. Here is a link to the install http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/teraflex-2-5-coil-lift-install-pics-118697.html

If DT put on your wheels/tires make sure to check your PSI because they ship them at the max cold rating of 35psi and the shops will mount them up and not care. If yours are at this pressure, lower it down. The correct psi for your new tires is 28-30 max cold psi.

#12 ·
You originally had 225/75/16 tires on it and the stock psi rating that your computer goes by is 35-37psi. If it has not gone off yet it may not still because your new tires are aired to the max right now at 35psi and will certainly go higher once you drive on them or when the temperature goes up outside. You're tires should never be at the max cold rating unless you are about to take on very heavy loads and need a little more cushion. Daily driving and wheeling do not justify having them at the max. In addition, you will cause your new 12.5 tires to wear un evenly and deteriorate in the center by being over inflated. Decreasing your psi to 28-30 psi is the right amount that will allow your tires to have even contact with the road and wear evenly. It is also more safe to do this as you will have a greater contact patch for better traction. Lowering your psi will cause you to have slightly worse mpg because you are moving a greater part of the tires across the surface of the road vs on the center portions when over inflated.

Your TPMS light will illuminate for a while once your set your tires to the correct PSI. It takes a while for it to read the new temperature and set it so that the light will go off but it may come on again regardless. It's a harmless but yet very annoying feature of the system when you go to bigger tires on your Jeep. The AEV procal tuner will allow you to adjust your sensors manually to zero or any desired level you want. Allowing you to go to any size tire in the future or run your current ones and at any level. Very helpful if you air down when going off road. I took the sensors out of my wheels a few sets back and the light has been on my dashboard ever since. I'm getting the tuner to set it to zero but I'm going to wait until I re gear and do a few other things. Not that big of a deal but the light is annoying.

You need to lower your tire pressure or your tires will shoot up to near 40psi for daily driving. Mine did, this is all from experience. :thumb:

#15 ·
You originally had 225/75/16 tires on it and the stock psi rating that your computer goes by is 35-37psi. If it has not gone off yet it may not still because your new tires are aired to the max right now at 35psi and will certainly go higher once you drive on them or when the temperature goes up outside. You're tires should never be at the max cold rating unless you are about to take on very heavy loads and need a little more cushion. Daily driving and wheeling do not justify having them at the max. In addition, you will cause your new 12.5 tires to wear un evenly and deteriorate in the center by being over inflated. Decreasing your psi to 28-30 psi is the right amount that will allow your tires to have even contact with the road and wear evenly. It is also more safe to do this as you will have a greater contact patch for better traction. Lowering your psi will cause you to have slightly worse mpg because you are moving a greater part of the tires across the surface of the road vs on the center portions when over inflated.

Your TPMS light will illuminate for a while once your set your tires to the correct PSI. It takes a while for it to read the new temperature and set it so that the light will go off but it may come on again regardless. It's a harmless but yet very annoying feature of the system when you go to bigger tires on your Jeep. The AEV procal tuner will allow you to adjust your sensors manually to zero or any desired level you want. Allowing you to go to any size tire in the future or run your current ones and at any level. Very helpful if you air down when going off road. I took the sensors out of my wheels a few sets back and the light has been on my dashboard ever since. I'm getting the tuner to set it to zero but I'm going to wait until I re gear and do a few other things. Not that big of a deal but the light is annoying.

You need to lower your tire pressure or your tires will shoot up to near 40psi for daily driving. Mine did, this is all from experience. :thumb:
Roger that! I'll be letting some air out of them around lunch time then. :) Which reminds me I need to sell my stocks tires/wheels now!
Im not sure if I could stand that light being on all the time though, i'd keep looking at it every 3 seconds!

#23 ·
Personally, I don't think you need to drop $750 on a lift if you don't plan on wheeling. Go for spacers and shocks and keep your factory ride (actually, the shocks will make it feel even better than factory) and save some money in the process.

Any of these are good. I have Skyjacker shocks and love them. The hydros seem to be a bit softer than gas so they probably feel a little better on road.

Skyjacker 2" Budget Boost for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I've heard great things about the RE kits...
RE7130 - Rubicon Express 2" Spacer System with Twin Tube Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

and if you insist on TF...
TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost with Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

#25 ·
Garr

Notice much more road noise with the 33"s over stock,,, and what about power lose?

Thanks
Not really, it more or less sounds the same as the stock tires. I did some researching on here and alot of people were saying that the same and thats what I wanted. As for power loss, minimal if any at all. After they were put on I drove home (15 min) and then this morning to work (28 min) and I believe I shift just a bit earlier then I did before. The ride still feels as good as if the shocks were on...well maybe a bit better :)

#27 ·
Garrwing84 said:
Not really, it more or less sounds the same as the stock tires. I did some researching on here and alot of people were saying that the same and thats what I wanted. As for power loss, minimal if any at all. After they were put on I drove home (15 min) and then this morning to work (28 min) and I believe I shift just a bit earlier then I did before. The ride still feels as good as if the shocks were on...well maybe a bit better :)
Ok so I rushed through that lol. Meant to say as good as if the "stocks" were on. Or maybe I just had shocks on my mind. :D

#32 ·
Garrwing84 said:
I agree! It looks like another Jeep.

Is it common to get the front bumper cut down (make it shorter), or is that usually more for off-roading rock crawling or do DD do this too?
Quadra tech sells the front stubby stock bumper inserts. Looks cool. Do what you want. It's your ride. And a nice ride it is!

#34 ·
I got TKO's, but I got them in 17'' with Geolander A/t's tires. Yours look perfect, I just hope I don't get that look that the people with 20''s get. :doh:I'll post the pics on Wednesday after I get them!! Till then:wavey:

#37 ·
TKO's BABY!!

Was affraid they were going to look too big and wouldn't look good with my Jeep! They look great! Got Geolander Tires, couldn't afford Duratracks:banghead:, but nontheless its something lol! Here are some pics fellas!! :punk:

Attachments

#39 ·
Shocks........

.......... folks that switched from the "stockers" and went to " Bilstein 5100's ", swear by them :thumb:

Check with kbwwolf, he can give a 1st habd report on his Bilsteins and offer lift info. He has helped me a GREAT deal :whistling:

#40 ·
willee51 said:
.......... folks that switched from the "stockers" and went to " Bilstein 5100's ", swear by them :thumb:

Check with kbwwolf, he can give a 1st habd report on his Bilsteins and offer lift info. He has helped me a GREAT deal :whistling:
Where are my Bilsteins :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.