Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thrilled to find a rack that I could tote a kayak with without interfering with the sunrider. I'll be installing it tomorrow. I just can't believe how bad it was when it arrived. One of the other guys in the shop told me he'd slid some loose washers back into the box. Not to mention I work on aircraft and had this delivered to the hangar. Complete FOD nightmare. The small bag by itself contains all of the loose parts I could find in and around the packaging.

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Did you call bestop and put in a claim for damage in shipping? I wouldn't have allowed them to leave it like that, unless the left me with some sort of damaged goods report. That's nuts! :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Yeah, that's 'effed up. Hope everything is there. Nothing worse than being in the middle of installing something you've been anxiously awaiting and hitting a brick wall. Is that the one that clamps to the tub?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get a chance to refuse it - the duty office accepted it. I can't use that packaging to send it back anyway... So I opted for lots of pictures (I took many more than I posted) and there's always Home Depot for missing hardware. All the actual rack parts seem to be in order. It really looks like that triangular box had been in a warehouse for a LONG time - the plastic wrapping around the bars was yellowing and had small rips everywhere.

Yes, this is the one that just clamps on to the tub. I love the simple design, I just wish the actual rig wasn't so neglected before I paid good money for it.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I didn't get a chance to refuse it - the duty office accepted it. I can't use that packaging to send it back anyway... So I opted for lots of pictures (I took many more than I posted) and there's always Home Depot for missing hardware. All the actual rack parts seem to be in order. It really looks like that triangular box had been in a warehouse for a LONG time - the plastic wrapping around the bars was yellowing and had small rips everywhere.

Yes, this is the one that just clamps on to the tub. I love the simple design, I just wish the actual rig wasn't so neglected before I paid good money for it.
Hope it works out. I thought long and hard about getting that one. I actually ended up installing a gobi last weekend and put both my boat carriers on it yesterday. Taking the yaks out Sunday for the first time since October.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should add that I am an amazon prime member and therefore didn't pay shipping. Still furious, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to document this whole thing, because I've seen lots of questions about what modifications have to be done to the jeep to use it. Included is the inventory and installation instructions. I have almost everything, so hopefully I can use this to bring home a kayak tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't sure if everything was needed exactly or if they sent extra. Turns out, both. I have 48 out of 50 washers with plenty of extra, but the locking nuts are short two and therefore where the bars join at the top is missing one out of four screw/washer/nuts each. Also the tiny socket head screws that I have three of turned out to be the retaining screws that are supposed to be in both ends of each rail. After getting the racks on the rails and tightening everything else down, I didn't even use them. If they send me the missing one, I'll install them all.

The good news is, it's fine as is. Now that I have the rails where I want them, I may remove the dorky looking adjuster knobs and lock the racks where they are with locking nuts. More good news, the 225 lb idiot who helped me load my kayak actually pulled on the back bar to heave himself up into the back of the jeep. I can't believe it held. I'd already asked him to be careful as it was only rated for 150 lbs. I inspected it all over and see no cracks, but it moved a LOT when he did it.

The clamp onto the tub is weirdness. If the rig fails, my money says one of those will be the culprit. I added washers where the outside meets the inside, because it was creating an ugly angle and I'm not a fan of shearing screws while rolling down the highway. I'm not sure if you can see it in these images, but I can take more if anyone is curious.

I ended up having to disassemble the back rack to get it to slide into the rail. You can see the rail is bent on the top. The first rack slid in after some trickery, but the back one wouldn't budge. Anyway it did finally go in and wasn't as much of a pain to put back together as I was expecting. I haven't cut into my windows yet, so no info for that yet.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts