Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has any ideas, please pipe in.

I have a set of KC lights I’m wiring into my Jeep. The switch has a lower light that is on when the acc. Power is on and a upper light that is on when the switch is turned to the on position.

The lower light works perfectly as I have the power coming from a line I tapped into from the cigarette lighter. So ground for that (#7) and power (#6) are good. I even flip flopped pins #7 and #8 as they are both grounds and it still works fine….so I know that both grounds to the switch are good.

Whats happening is the power in (#2) is on a low 5 amp fuse. Every time I plug in a fuse it immediately blows. Same if I up it to a 10 amp. I tried replacing it with a 20 amp and the upper light does turn on like it’s supposed to but before I could test the feed out of the relay I noticed the wiring getting HOT and smokey….so I turned it off.

So it’s a problem with how I have #2 and #3 wired……I think. I don’t know. Help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok....failed again. Clearly I'm not smart enought to paste the URL. But the switch diagram i got from google shows the 5 pins as

#2-incoming from source
#3-Outgoing to relay
#8-Upper light Neg.(this is working)
#7-Lower light Neg.(this is working)
#6-Lower light Pos. (this is working)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Did you use the harness that comes with the KC lights? Sounds like you are trying to use a switch and circuit that is not rated for the correct amperage. Don't do that if that is the case. The switch you have is designed to work with a relay. Are you using a relay?

·
Retired Moderator
100,678 Posts
WOW, if you are getting the wires hot enough to smoke them, then either it is wired wrong, or you are not using the correct wiring harness.

I would make sure that you have a wiring schematic with it to follow, and that you are using all of the supplied installation kit with it.
Then if you still have a problem, call the supplier, and ask for some guidance/help......:thumb:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly, there is no 'kit'. The lights i got are off brand with a positive and negative. So i'm running the relay and switch myself.....improperly from the looks of it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes. You should either be using a relay or a switch rated for the correct amperage. That is the reason they have relays. Let me know which you want to do and then I'll walk you through the wiring. The way you're doing it, you could burn your jk to the ground. :nonono:

Here's a schematic for how you need to wire it. I did this for a 3 light install but you can just ignore the third light.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...i don't know if i really 'fixed' it or not, but what i did was basically pull EVERYTHING out and started from scratch. The switch is rated for 20amps, so i took a power feed from the cigerette lighter, thru the switch and straight to the lights....and grounding to the frame next to the lights. It works and the lighter is going thru a 20amp fuse.....so i guess technically it's fused. So.....am i getting enough power the lamps (100 watt bulbs).

·
Registered
851 Posts
Check the box the lights came in or the website where you got them and see what the amp draw is. The watts pull different amount of amps for different type (ie. LEDs, HID, etc.) lighting. Make sure you used the correct size wire. Also, don't plug anything in the cig lighter when the lights are on.

It would have been easier and safer to use a relay.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
All I got to say is "Good Luck"...I won't splice or cut into any wires on the JK. Weather resistant Power Distribution box mounted out by the battery............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts