Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.. Loving the forums.. learning a lot.. I'm new to the jeep thing.. Recently joined the Air Force.. Treated myself to a 2001 Jeep Wrangler SE.. Not sure if I made a mistake going with the 4 cylinder.. But I've had it a month and I'm fine with the power output.. (I know it's not meant to be a street rod)

Now what I want is some offroad fun!
If I go with a 6" lift and 35" Tires I would need a sye and steering stabilizer correct? Anything else I need? This info is only gathered from other posts I've read.. If I need more I would greatly appreciate it!!! :D thankyou

Your new friend,
Alex
(Dover, Delaware)

·
Registered
876 Posts
35s and a 4 cyl. Hmmmm, what else? POWER. You'll need more power. :D You'll at the very least need to regear to be able to move those tires.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Jeep.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There seems to be plenty of Jeeps on this forum that have chosen the 4 banger drive train. So you should get plenty of responses to your question. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have enough power. It is all in the gearing. With 35" tires, you would want at least 4.56 gears, and I would highly recommend putting a Tera-low onto your transfer case. That will give you a 4:1 gear ratio in your t-case, in 4 low. Very beneficial when wheeling. You can crawl up a wall if your geared right. If you are still anxious to spend more money, putting lockers in your differentials will greatly improve your abilities. If you choose to get lockers, I would also recommend getting selectable ones. Eaton has come out with an electric locker now. Sounds like your ready to have some serious fun.

Almost forgot.......Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
welcome.

6" will be a little much for 35's. I'd say shoot for a 4.5" with an inch body lift, you'll have plenty of clearance and more stability.

·
Registered
25 Posts
jeepsrus said:
It is all in the gearing. With 35" tires, you would want at least 4.56 gears, and I would highly recommend putting a Tera-low onto your transfer case. That will give you a 4:1 gear ratio in your t-case, in 4 low. Very beneficial when wheeling. You can crawl up a wall if your geared right. If you are still anxious to spend more money, putting lockers in your differentials will greatly improve your abilities. If you choose to get lockers, I would also recommend getting selectable ones. Eaton has come out with an electric locker now. Sounds like your ready to have some serious fun.

Almost forgot.......Welcome to the Forum.
The first items I would add are skid plates. If you didn't add them from the factory I would recommend oil pan/trans, steering box, gas tank, and rockers. Then go do some wheeling. You should learn the capabilities of your rig before you start throwing parts at it.
I would not recommend lockers for someone new to wheeling. Lockers will let you get into places that you have no business being and can't get back out of. Also, if you do any serious wheeling or are unlucky enough to get stuck really good with lockers, 35's and a 6" lift I can almost guarantee you are going to destroy your Dana 35 rear axle.
When you regear after lifting and adding bigger rubber try a couple Detroit TrueTrack or PowerTrax No Slip diffs. They are limited slip units. They are affordable and will give you a lot more traction.

Welcome to the board!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts