Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those living on the Eastern side of the states, check your passenger side carpet, after the very heavy rain from last night, for wetness. As discussed on here before about this issue on some of the new 2010 JK's. If left unchecked, you could have a rusted out foot wells in years to come, due to the water and moisture trapped between the metal footwells and the carpet. I removed the carpeting and made custom floor matts that are removable to check for water and moisture time to time.

I know most of us are aware of this issue, just figure with all the new members joining lately, I would post this new thread.

:punk: SLIM_SNOOPY :punk:

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Use your drain plugs, that's what they are there for. With as many seals as a jeep has, it is bound to get wet once in a while. Even if it doesn't leak, having the hard top off is a weakness for most jeepers....then woosh! the unexpected thunder storm!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
^^You're braver than me. I want to line mine so then I can get the carpets out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use your drain plugs, that's what they are there for. With as many seals as a jeep has, it is bound to get wet once in a while. Even if it doesn't leak, having the hard top off is a weakness for most jeepers....then woosh! the unexpected thunder storm!
I wish I could pull my plugs out , and leave them out for a short period of time or on a permanent basis, but due field mice trying to get into any warm places at my location, it would be a field mice heaven. Rather deal with the small pondig of water inside the Jeep the next morning,,,lol:rofl::rofl:

With the custom rubber matts I made " carpet removed" , this process is not much of a issue anymore. I guess this one of those " It is a Jeep Thang,,,":rofl: :wavey:

;) SLIM_SNOOPY ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
With my softop in place every time it rains water pours in from the front of the softop(right above the door handle) every time I open or slam the door. So basically when I open a door or shut one hard water pours all over the door where the door handle/power lock is. Is this normal or is my soft top not closing correctly?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Field mice....now there is a reason to keep your plugs in. Can't stand the smell of field mice after they defecate and piss all over the place. Really hard to get that smell out after the fact. Letting it dry on a nice drying day with the top off in the sun works pretty well after draining any standing water (and replacing the plugs). Leaving the windows open works but not as fast as top off.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
With my softop in place every time it rains water pours in from the front of the softop(right above the door handle) every time I open or slam the door. So basically when I open a door or shut one hard water pours all over the door where the door handle/power lock is. Is this normal or is my soft top not closing correctly?
If you are speaking of the built in shower that the engineers have manufactured right into the roof system when the door is open then, yes, that is normal. Once the door is shut, the shower should be off. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Field mice....now there is a reason to keep your plugs in. Can't stand the smell of field mice after they defecate and piss all over the place. Really hard to get that smell out

I got first hand knowledge about this. My friend has an old Toyota 80's Pickup all fixed up real nice. One day he asked me if i would be interested in ripping apart the entire dash , carpet , plastic pannels, right down to the bare bone metal, to clean out all the mice remains.After hand cleaning all the parts , vacuuming the entire vehicle, clean all the dashboards , floor boards entire vehicle apart inside out with a dis-infectant , I Filled in all the holes where mice were getting into, installed new custom carpet. Basically the truck smells and looks as if it rolled of the assembly line from the 80's again. My point here , is to make sure if you park your vehicle in a garage for a long period of time, put mouse traps, moth balls, etc. Check inside it every so often. If possible take it out for a quick spin. Rodents do not like motion, they look for stable areas to nest. For those who have done the above, know what I am talking about. It is a big job, and to find someone who is very thorough is a whole different topic.

Oh yeah,my best advice, Remove all the food wrappers after you eat in your vehicle..if left , the food eventually gets under the carpet between the small viods, and will sit there , becoming a point of interest " Rodents" for a stored vehicle. Do not use mice posion, they will die in the hardest to reach place , and the smell will be really bad. Stick with the old fashion spring mouse traps and glue boards. Mice remains have a known 60 illneses for lung related issues.

Sorry for going off topic, I figure some folks on here put away their prized show vehicles in storage units this time of year. I figure those people would find this helpful if they did not know this already :hijacked::hijacked:

:D SLIM_SNOOPY :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There is a TSB for this, they replace the weather stripping over the windshield, the new one has these small square rain channels the stick out past the ends of the soft top and directs water out and over the door.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ronin said:
Where would I be able to get that done
Your dealership, it takes em a few hours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts