Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Barracade rock sliders on. They look great! Since I installed them I found a thread that says to tighten the body mount bolts to 80 ft. lbs. The instructions said 35 lbs. I thought, "They have to be tighter than that!" I didn't use a torque wrench and tightened them down as best I could. First time driving the Jeep last night I noticed a creaking noise underneath on the left side. Doesn't seem to do it on the right side. It's most noticible when I apply the brakes. Did I get those body mount bolts too tight? I'm thinking I should loosen all 6 of the body mount bolts & retighten to 80 lbs with a torque wrench. It just seems odd to me that it only seems to do it on the left side. I tried to tighten all 6 equally. Both my Wife & I were in the Jeep at the time so the weight was sorta balanced. Any thoughts or solutions sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Smitty

Vendor
I finally got my Barracade rock sliders on. They look great! Since I installed them I found a thread that says to tighten the body mount bolts to 80 ft. lbs. The instructions said 35 lbs. I thought, "They have to be tighter than that!" I didn't use a torque wrench and tightened them down as best I could. First time driving the Jeep last night I noticed a creaking noise underneath on the left side. Doesn't seem to do it on the right side. It's most noticible when I apply the brakes. Did I get those body mount bolts too tight? I'm thinking I should loosen all 6 of the body mount bolts & retighten to 80 lbs with a torque wrench. It just seems odd to me that it only seems to do it on the left side. I tried to tighten all 6 equally. Both my Wife & I were in the Jeep at the time so the weight was sorta balanced. Any thoughts or solutions sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Smitty
That is odd! Since you had everything apart there is always a chance of a settling noise or two. I would loosen up the bolts and torque with a torque wrench. You can also grease up the body mounts a bit where the metal contacts them. Use something that is rubber safe, but that might help as well. Let me know how it works out!

-Ryan

Premium Member
Just searched creaking as I am having an issue myself. Jeep was up on a lift about a week ago for fluid changes all around. Now the thing creaks like crazy. I can push down and pull up on the front bumper and it creaks like mad. Thought it might need a few days to settle, but it's been a week. Thoughts? Same thing? Just needs some grease?

Registered
My front sway bar used to creak and groan episodically, getting worse over time.

Divot test: stand in front of your Jeep, and suddenly push down with all your weight on the front bumper, listening for noises.

IF you get a creak, confirm test by going to some kind of bump where you can challenge the sway bar movement in up/down direction.

While squirting various lubes into the front sway bar bushings helped temporarily, solution was to get new neoprene bushings. Parts & install cost me around $95 three years ago. Not one incident of squeak since.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After extensive experimenting I found that the only way to resolve my (left front body mount bolt) creaking was to loosen the bolt just a bit. I would loosen it a bit-drive it-no creaks. So I would tighten it up a bit & drive it-still no creaks. So after about 3 or 4 tightenings(is that a word?)- it started creaking again. So apparently my problem is I have to be careful as to how tight I get the lf body mount bolt thru the rock slider bracket. I now carry an 18mm deep well socket & rachet just to tweak if needed.

Registered
Good to know. I noticed some slight creaking myself after installing my Barricades. Thought it was just a "jeep thang". I tightened to 80fp. I may loosen to 70fp to see if that helps.

Build Thread Queen
After extensive experimenting I found that the only way to resolve my (left front body mount bolt) creaking was to loosen the bolt just a bit. I would loosen it a bit-drive it-no creaks. So I would tighten it up a bit & drive it-still no creaks. So after about 3 or 4 tightenings(is that a word?)- it started creaking again. So apparently my problem is I have to be careful as to how tight I get the lf body mount bolt thru the rock slider bracket. I now carry an 18mm deep well socket & rachet just to tweak if needed.
But there is a torque spec for those body mount bolts. If they aren't torqued to spec, what issues might that cause?

If I were you I'd pick up a torque wrench and see if you're over-torqued or not. If you can't tighten to spec, then there's an issue there.

Just my humble opinion...

Registered
^+1 torque specs exist for a reason. If it creaks with the proper torque specs I'd consider some large rubber washers in between.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But there is a torque spec for those body mount bolts. If they aren't torqued to spec, what issues might that cause?

If I were you I'd pick up a torque wrench and see if you're over-torqued or not. If you can't tighten to spec, then there's an issue there.

Just my humble opinion...
I did get a torque wrench. Torqued to 80 lbs and only the lf one creaked. Loosened it some & it quit. On a side note- Extreme Terrain was super thru the whole ordeal and they sent me another set of sliders. I only replaced the left one and the new one seemed to fit better than the 1st one-but still had creaks.

Build Thread Queen
I did get a torque wrench. Torqued to 80 lbs and only the lf one creaked. Loosened it some & it quit. On a side note- Extreme Terrain was super thru the whole ordeal and they sent me another set of sliders. I only replaced the left one and the new one seemed to fit better than the 1st one-but still had creaks.
Sounds like maybe there is some tolerance issue in manufacturing maybe. It's your jeep and your money, but I wouldn't want to run a set of rails that couldn't be torqued to spec. Maybe that just me though...

Premium Member
Well you'd never guess my issue. Was really bothering me today so when I got back to work after lunch I was pushing down on the bumper trying to figure out exactly where the noise was coming from and I did. Turns out I had a block of wood wedged ( and I mean wedged) into and between the front driver side spring and the sway bar link. Ran it into the dealer and they dropped the axle and pulled it out for me. Must have happened last time I was off-road and then shifted when it was up on a lift a week ago and started making noise. Good reminder to check my under carriage each time after off-road.

Vendor
Well you'd never guess my issue. Was really bothering me today so when I got back to work after lunch I was pushing down on the bumper trying to figure out exactly where the noise was coming from and I did. Turns out I had a block of wood wedged ( and I mean wedged) into and between the front driver side spring and the sway bar link. Ran it into the dealer and they dropped the axle and pulled it out for me. Must have happened last time I was off-road and then shifted when it was up on a lift a week ago and started making noise. Good reminder to check my under carriage each time after off-road.
I'm glad you found it an that it was a pretty easy fix! I've found some debris under my rig after a day on the trail but nothings gotten wedged as far as I know. Have fun out there!

-Ryan

Registered
My creaking is still there. I tried to change the torque to 60fp, but creaking still there. When I torque back to spec, creaking is louder. It's definitely related to the body bolts. I can feel the creak in my feet. Seems like the driver's side but not sure. When I bounce on the sliders with my weight, no creaking. It seems like the creaking is coming from the weight shift from front to back and back to front. I hear it when I come to a stop, or when I start moving from a stop. Can someone recommend a way to fix the creaking?

Registered
I know this might not help. Saturday I found an incredibly annoying creak. Every time I would go over a speed bump it would creak loudly. I got under the Jeep and made sure things were tight. I then tried to rock the Jeep to see if I could hear the sound while under the Jeep. I determined it was coming from the gas tank skid. I went to loosen the first bolt and it made the creak sound. I loosened all the bolts which relieved the stress and made the skid not contact the gas tank. I shot some WD40 in there and then tightened the skid. Drove home from parents in a driving rain so the WD40 probably washed off. Woke up and drove over speed bumps and sound completely gone. Not sure if it was the loosening of the bolts or the WD40 and don't really care because the sound is gone and the Jeep doesn't sound likes its coming apart. Good thing is if the WD40 is only temporary then I know I can shoot some waterproof grease where the skid is contacting the gas tank. I actually think the bolts were over tight and releasing the pressure is what corrected the noise. It's amazing what finding a sound does to the perception of the Jeep.

Registered
Hmmm. Thanks but I don't think I have the same issue you had. glad you found a solution though.

Registered
Ok. At 40fp, no creaking. At 50fp or greater, creaking. Where exactly is the noise coming from? If there is something to grease or put rubber washers in, or loctite, whatever. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Registered
Ok. At 40fp, no creaking. At 50fp or greater, creaking. Where exactly is the noise coming from? If there is something to grease or put rubber washers in, or loctite, whatever. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
You just answered it yourself. If factory specs is 30fp and at 40fp you have no squeak but at 50fp+ you do. Sounds like your over tightening it to me and not allowing the bushing to do its job of compressing/contracting, and in turn getting a squeak.

Registered
You just answered it yourself. If factory specs is 30fp and at 40fp you have no squeak but at 50fp+ you do. Sounds like your over tightening it to me and not allowing the bushing to do its job of compressing/contracting, and in turn getting a squeak.
Wait. I thought that body mount bolts had a torque spec of 80fp.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts