Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to get the 430n but it was a 1,000. You can buy a great garmin with life time maps for a couple hundred. S which one do you recommend and where do you place it. Picture would be great.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
The mount is a simple and rather crude product of one of my other hobbies.. blacksmithing.

Very easy to fabricate and custom bend to get just the desired angle for the GPS unit.

Don't forget the hole in the middle of the top surface, so you can get to the mounting screw.... Don't ask...

Garmin mount.jpg

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I use the Garmin Regular mount and mount mine as low and as far left as I can on the windshield. IMO putting it in the center just blocks too much for me.....

·
4,666 Posts
I use the Garmin Regular mount and mount mine as low and as far left as I can on the windshield. IMO putting it in the center just blocks too much for me.....
I agree, don't want to block the view... That's why I adjusted my mount so the GPS is completely out of my windshield view, but easily visible with a glance, like the rear view mirror...

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I had mine hard wired, cost @$60, bought a Garmin beanbag mount fit perfect in the tray

·
4,666 Posts
Up Hill Bill. How do you run the power cord?
For now, I just run it from the 12V outlet on the console below the radio to the dash tray. The excess cable coils neatly behind the mount.

I had planned to hard wire it behind the dash and bring the cord through the bottom of the tray. But I hardly notice it anymore and It's pretty handy the way it is. So, I'll probably leave it the way it is.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Nice job on the mount, Up Hill Bill.

If anyone else here has a Garmin (Nuvi or newer) I have a brand new Garmin beanbag mount (unopened) that I'd send free if youre willing to pay shipping. Kinda dont need it now in the JKUS.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just my two cents if you decide to hard wire .DONT cut the plug off and tap into a 12 volt source .my buddy did that with his siruis radio and smoked it .the plug drops the voltage down to like 5 volts

·
Registered
34,435 Posts
I went with the Garmin Trail Guide GPS

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't think Jeeps needed GPS? Part of the fun is trying to find your way out right? And if that requires making your own trail, well so be it!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts