Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 JL Wrangler 2Dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2011 2 dr JK Sport without an OEM GPS and want to buy a Garmin to mount atop the dash in that rectangular pocket above the radio. Has anyone found a good way to secure a GPS in this location? Thanks

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I would suggest the suction cup to the window thing.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
i secure my garmin to the window and it works great there and there is no extra dash disc to leave when i put it away

·
Registered
170 Posts
On my 2007, and now my 2011, I use the Garmin Friction Mount. I liked it so well, I got one for my wife's Ford Edge.

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics

I set it either in the tray or just to the left of the tray on the dash. Convenient locations and it never moves when traveling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I Know you have a 2011 but this may give you an idea.
Daystar dash panel. Power hardwired to ignition switched circuit. Plug cut thru back of dash panel. Small velco pads. Pops on and off in a second.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
My GPS mount is on the driver side... The position on the center console will play havoc with the compass..and it obstructs the forward view more in comparison with the LH side..

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
USAntigoon said:
My GPS mount is on the driver side... The position on the center console will play havoc with the compass..and it obstructs the forward view more in comparison with the LH side..
Compass is dead on after recalibration. Top of GPS is below sightline of hood front edge; don't have turn to view

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2011. With the suction cup attachment, it slides right into the cubby hole below the stereo. Fits perfect, and doesn't move.

·
UConn Husky
546 Posts
Mine is mounted by suction cup to the left hand side of the windhield. OUt of the way and yet easier to read than center console

·
Registered
2020 JL Wrangler 2Dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the ideas. BBARQUIST, I like your set-up. I just sent an email to daystar and will probably wait till the 2011 dash mat comes out. I like the middle location since my wife can get to it while we are driving and check out routes and POI's. Thanks again for the great suggestions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I picked up a schoshe gps mount, I mounted it to the daystar panel. but it is adhesive backed pad. If you look at my photos I posted some pics of the setup. I hardwierd the GPS and my Iphone charger/Stereo adapter cord.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's a couple steel tubes and some metal plates. It has flat bar welded to the front and back for mounting.
A little welding and grinding and two cans of spray paint.
If I make another I'll use a c channel instead of the tubes so I can hide all the wiring easier.
It kinda looks cheap in my brand new jeep so I'm gona take it out and re-sand and paint it. Plus the bolts need to be something pretty too. maybe painted black or stainless steel. It took me about 2 hours.
Eh... maybe I'll just make a new one for some minor improvements.

It's mounted to the metal under the plastic cover at the front and the plastic overhead sound bar in the back. I had to cut a little of the front plastic cover to get it to fit nice.
I woundn't hang on it but it'll hold all the components I need.
I have a CB on the front and some accessory switches on the back. I'm gona add an XM radio to the front.

If I remake it I'll get measurements and materials for any DIYer who wants to make one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts