Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is my inquir[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]y regarding update for in - dash GPS unit on my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. Anyone else know of way around this Highway Robbery ??
Regards,
Shineysideup

Comments: Why $ 149.00 for update ?? My spouse just bought a Garmin portable GPS for $159.00 and it has lifetime updates. This price is unacceptable. Have 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Hello Mr. Smallwood,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ Maps, a division of Nokia Location & Commerce.

In order to provide the most accurate data to power your navigation system, teams of over 2,000 geographic analysts drive millions of miles each year to collect and verify the data within each map release. Compared with other map updates on the market, we offer a competitive price for a premium product.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NavteqNorthAmerica Web Store Question

NAVTEQ Maps Customer Service

Nokia Location & Commerce

P.O. Box 1588

Orem, UT 84059

[email protected]

[/FONT]

·
Registered
66 Posts
$ :banghead:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I ran into this with my F150 Nav system too. Can you say Rip Off. They figure they have you bent over so they will charge what they want. I don't blame them so much as the manufacturer who bought the cheapest option they could have rather then giving value to the consumer to start with.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
It's not required to buy the updates. There's no real need to do regular updates since few roads change and they're sure not adding many. Unless the GPS disables itself if it's out of date, does it?

My wife's old Garmin works fine yet it's probably 6-7 years out of date. She's slowly coming around to using the Google GPS in her Android phone but it's not as easy to use. For my on-road nav, I'm now using Waze. If you have an Android, do download and check out Waze which is a free GPS mapping product. What's cool about it is that Waze users update it continually as they drive around, identifying accidents, traffic, and even cops so they show up on the map. Thanks to Waze, I pretty well know where most of the cops are on the highway before I get to them.

Oh wait, I think Waze is now also available for iPhones too so it's not just for Androids.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Yeah, actually Waze was originally an iPhone app, years before it was purchased by Google.

I'll have to look it up again, I haven't had it installed since like 2009.
Edit: Wow, it's looking really nice these days! :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
The one thing I still really use the RB1 nav for is when I'm up in the mountains with no cell service. It is frustratingly out of date though, there are many streets it won't route on even though they're on the map (presumably not enough data to know if they're 1 way streets or something like that). Several interchanges on the interstates around here that have been built since it was last updated, as well. I'd pay Navteq's tax if a disc was known to be the final update that will ever be released, but that's about all.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
When anti-virus software first became popular, you didn't need to pay for service, the software just got old. Now..you have to pay, pay, pay..........If they can find a way to make you pay, they will. Nowadays, you get taxed continually for owning software. Nowadays, you even have to pay for condiments. Nowadays, if you want extra salad dressing, you have to pay for it. When I went to Wingstop and they told me that I had to pay for the Ranch Dressings for my celery and carrot sticks, I went somewhere else. Sign-O-The Times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts