Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I have a Garmin and it does have most of the private roads and driveways around my part of the woods i'm not sure just what you need but there made for hunters and fishing also.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I use the Garmin Nuvi series. 7" display, my old man eyes appreciate it. It can go hand held for about an hour and can go as long as the phone battery pods last. WE camping regularly and it has all the forestry roads on it. We even use it on the ATV. Lifetime updates, voice commands, vector inputs and construction zone/accident info. You can even step to the full featured one and have a backup camera.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I just cache whatever area I'm going to on my smartphone using either the US TOPO MAPS app, or BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATOR PRO app. Both will show your gps position on good detailed topo maps or satellite photo maps and follow you along the drive. If you pre cache the maps, you don't need to have cell signal to download the maps as you go. The phone's gps works without cell coverage. You can also map record your position/path to download later, and pre pick points of interest and navigate to them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.northamerica.free&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator.license&hl=en

It came in more than handy the last two weeks in Yellowstone.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, It has been decades since I was in the Mountains and I just like the idea of knowing somewhat of where I'm at. I didn't know if you could get a GPS to show the trails. I would like one that had back tracking on it as well just to find my way back out

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
They make a GPS for about anything...My Garmin has a feature to add a GPS collar so you can see where your dog it at all times when they is working the field..or it will also show other handheld are located relative to tou..really just a matter of researching and finding one with the features you want

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The phone's gps works without cell coverage.
You have an iphone? Most cell phone gps is actually assisted GPS. It uses data from cell service provider to determine your location.. Iphone and a few other models have a dedicated gps receiver but that's not the case with all makes and models. If you plan to go this route make sure your phone has a dedicated GPS receiver.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Most of the note models have a a dedicated gps receiver too...when you have a dedicated gps receiver you are actually pulling froms sats instead of being triangulated from by the service provider on their network....most newer phones are going to a dedicated GPS reciver....carriers are trying to free up as much bandwidth as possible now that everyone is offering unlimited data plans.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Most of the note models have a a dedicated gps receiver too...when you have a dedicated gps receiver you are actually pulling froms sats instead of being triangulated from by the service provider on their network....most newer phones are going to a dedicated GPS reciver....carriers are trying to free up as much bandwidth as possible now that everyone is offering unlimited data plans.
Androids have two different locating methods, and three options.
1. Wifi and cell networks
2. GPS
3. Combination of the two

So where are you guys finding these maps to download? I usually wheel at dedicated parks rather than public land. Some don't even have good paper maps...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm and older guy to and I just ordered my new Willys with the standard radio, the 130S. Since I mainly listen to talk radio 90% of the time I didn't want any radio upgrades, plus the upgrade Jeep radios are what most would call "Old School". I have an older Garmin Nuvi 500 and it to this day works just fine, but like everything else I think I need to be upgraded. When I speak of upgraded I'm mainly talking about, a larger screen (6-7") so I can see the darn thing. Also since Jeep doesn't offer a Back Up Camera, Garmin does offer GPS's with with backup cameras. The two I'm looking at are the Garmin NuviCam LMT HD and the Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S, both are in the $200-$275 range and the backup camera is in the $130 range for the Garmin BC-30. I've watched many videos on YouTube, check them out if you are interested in these GPS's. I will keep my old Nuvi 500 as it is smaller and can fit into my pocket for hiking, etc., plus it has Topo maps on it, and the battery life is around 8 hours, best Garmin I have owned so far.

trainman

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
So where are you guys finding these maps to download? I usually wheel at dedicated parks rather than public land. Some don't even have good paper maps...
See my links above. When you have those apps, you can download USGS topo maps(and others) just by zooming in. It will automatically load successive levels of maps and by selecting "cache maps" it will keep them in memory when you are out of cell coverage.

I'm sorry about you being east of the Mississippi. I moved to Arizona from Illinois, so I know the pain of no public land to wheel on. Go west, young man.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
See my links above. When you have those apps, you can download USGS topo maps(and others) just by zooming in. It will automatically load successive levels of maps and by selecting "cache maps" it will keep them in memory when you are out of cell coverage.

I'm sorry about you being east of the Mississippi. I moved to Arizona from Illinois, so I know the pain of no public land to wheel on. Go west, young man.
My uncle in Montana with a contracting business needs a mechanic. Guess I gotta learn heavy machinery and move out there...

Reactions: DREDnot and Airslot

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo with Topo maps. I typically download the offline Google Maps. They include most of the Forest Service roads.

While in Yellowstone with a cellphone booster I had service over most of the park.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts