Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

grab handles

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  7Slots4Life 
#1 ·
What kind of grab handles are you using and would you recommend them? Are the fabric ones (Like These) really strong enough?

#2 ·
We have real GraBars. They are metal, really strong, and well made (in the USA). I do recommend them.
We originally used the fabric ones. They were strong enough, but their design and lack of rigidity made them less useful compared to the GraBars that replaced them.
The only thing I don't like about the GraBars design is they do interfere slightly with the visor. You can put the visor down but the handles stop you from swinging the visor all the way forwards. I do wish they bent the bars slightly different for more clearance. But they don't. In the end, it isn't a big deal to me. But it could be to someone else.
That, and their cost, are the only negatives in my opinion. And as to the cost, I am OK with paying more for an American made original. Some people aren't, and would rather buy a Chinese knockoff for less money. To each their own.

#3 ·
While GraBars are definitely a good alternative, yes those fabric (cord) ones can be really strong. I just don't like where your example mounts. Again GraBars have nailed the most preferred location as far as I'm concerned and that's where my front cord ones are also mounted.

If you are a crafty type youtube has many examples of how to weave your own. Just be sure to get the proper strength cord

Reactions: lioneljeeper
#4 ·
We use a combination of Synergy metal grab handles and MasterCraft soft grab handles because the wife needs to use two hand to get in our jeeps. The Synergy handles don't interfere with the sun visors which is kinda a big thing here in The-Valley-Of-The-Sun.

#6 ·
I've had or currently have:
  • Factory straps: have served me ok for years. Have come loose before and let me down.
  • GraBars (the real ones): they were ok
  • Carolina Metal Masters: The best IMO, but also the most expensive. I like that I can attach mirrors for no door driving
  • Bartact paracord: Super strong, love them. Also fairly pricey

#8 ·
I went with Bartact paracord at the same time I bought their seat covers. About a year later I got GraBars and have not used the Bartact since. My rear seat passengers have stated appreciation for the rear seat GraBars, not for getting in and out but for going around corners, and while off-roading.

Reactions: lioneljeeper
#9 ·
I tried some GraBar knock offs.......and after HOURS of trying, they would NOT line up. Struggled for a few days, but got a refund. I then tried the Smittybilt's. They went in in less than 5 min. per side using the same mounting location! No visor interference, sturdy, I'm good with them!

Lesson learned (again) on trying to save a buck..................:mad:

#12 ·
I have Carolina Metal Masters. I’d buy them again without a doubt.

#16 ·
Cool thing about the Grab bar type handles, they are 1mm smaller than mountain bike handle bars. Why is this cool? Because you can go into any of your local bike shops and buy comfortable, color matching (or contrasting), lock on specific grips of your choice. Then, drink a beer and once done, cut up the can and use it as a shim to take up the 1mm slack. Looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I love my Smittybilt Aluminum grab handles. Having use of my visors was a requirement and it's unbelievable how many handles out there block them. For the rears, I didn't use the spaces they provided because they seemed unnecessary tall and made the handles stick down a good half inch lower, making for more a head knocking hazard.
JK_AluminumGrabHandles

#22 ·
I have a Grabar on the passenger side. When I was installing the driver side the weld nut inside the a-pillar came loose so I cannot install one on my side. So I found GPCA carabiner grab handles and also have them on both sides. I actually like them pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.