Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem hooking up my Grant horn on my challenger GT steering wheel! How do you secure the tabbed wire and spring in the plastic sleeve? This is where on the old wheel the copper spring and metal plunger went thru plastic sleeve.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Found this:
I have a jeep using kit number 3196 and I don't have a wire coming out of my horn contact housing, but a metal connector. How do I get the grant wire connected?
You will need to pull this metal plunger out of the plastic tube and replace it with the wire provided in our kit. Simply grab the plunger and pull straight out. Re-use the plastic snap sleeve that will come out with plunger to hold our wire in housing just as before.

This link has the instructions in pdf: refer to step 9

Grant Steering Wheels

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this:
I have a jeep using kit number 3196 and I don't have a wire coming out of my horn contact housing, but a metal connector. How do I get the grant wire connected?
You will need to pull this metal plunger out of the plastic tube and replace it with the wire provided in our kit. Simply grab the plunger and pull straight out. Re-use the plastic snap sleeve that will come out with plunger to hold our wire in housing just as before.

This link has the instructions in pdf: refer to step 9

Grant Steering Wheels
I guess my issue is that there was no plastic snap sleeve still in the original set up? All I have is the copper spring and metal plunger! There was no plastic snap sleeve? The plastic sleeve remains in column and spring and plunger slide easily in and out? I did not get NEW Black plastic sleeve in kit?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just got my Grant SW & horn working a couple days ago, with the help from some people here.
Yeah, the horn kits don't come with the sleeve, but I think you can order one. I'll check around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, CHL. I will check at the dealer tomorrow? The Grant instructions call for a GM part #474102? It is available at GM online as well. A 3 dollar part with 16 dollar shipping charge.

·
Registered
473 Posts
16.00 for shipping sounds normal, but crappy. Why don't they just stick it an envelope & mail it.

Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just got this done on my 87 today. Used the spring from a retractable ball point pen and the end cap of a Bic pen.

1) Cut off the plunger end of the horn wire and stripped back some wire.

2) Pillaged a Bic pen for the end cap and drilled a hole big enough for the wire

3) Put the cap on the wire (cup end away from the spade terminal end)

4) Pillaged a retractable ball point pen for the spring (any spring long enough should work though)

5) Slid the spring on the wire.

6) Pulled the stripped end through the spring and soldered the wire to the spring.

7) Dropped the whole thing down the plastic tube of the turn signal cancelling cam and pushed the pen cap down so that the flange was flush with the tube end.

Worked like a champ! Didn't take pics, but I hope this helps the next person struggling with this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just got this done on my 87 today. Used the spring from a retractable ball point pen and the end cap of a Bic pen.

1) Cut off the plunger end of the horn wire and stripped back some wire.

2) Pillaged a Bic pen for the end cap and drilled a hole big enough for the wire

3) Put the cap on the wire (cup end away from the spade terminal end)

4) Pillaged a retractable ball point pen for the spring (any spring long enough should work though)

5) Slid the spring on the wire.

6) Pulled the stripped end through the spring and soldered the wire to the spring.

7) Dropped the whole thing down the plastic tube of the turn signal cancelling cam and pushed the pen cap down so that the flange was flush with the tube end.

Worked like a champ! Didn't take pics, but I hope this helps the next person struggling with this.
Necessity is the Mother of invention!! Great job McGyver! Now use the ink tube as a rocket to escape from the evil forces holding you!

The horn contactor ring is available at auto supply and the junk yard is full of the little spring with the locking tangs. I was lucky I had a Camaro with the column out already so I robbed the spring assembly out of it. I ended up shortening the plastic sleeve slightly because it was putting too much pressure on the little tube you insert the spring into. I either used some tape or heat shrink tube to use to keep it in place. Ran that wire to one tang on the horn button and another from the other tang to one of the bolts of the steering wheel mounting assembly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Necessity is the Mother of invention!! Great job McGyver! Now use the ink tube as a rocket to escape from the evil forces holding you!

The horn contactor ring is available at auto supply and the junk yard is full of the little spring with the locking tangs. I was lucky I had a Camaro with the column out already so I robbed the spring assembly out of it. I ended up shortening the plastic sleeve slightly because it was putting too much pressure on the little tube you insert the spring into. I either used some tape or heat shrink tube to use to keep it in place. Ran that wire to one tang on the horn button and another from the other tang to one of the bolts of the steering wheel mounting assembly.
I call it Jeep Engineering. :) Just like the bolt to replace the upper door hinge pin on the driver's door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts