Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new Grant Classic Series steering wheel to install. At some point, a PO replaced the stock horn on my Jeep with a small switch under the steering column connected by two wires. Does anyone know how I can hook this into the new wheel so I can have a normally-functioning horn button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Does your steering column still have the horn wire in it? If it's there, you should be able to tap into it with the wire that goes to the switch that the PO added.

IIRC, the wire that goes in the steering column to the horn button is just a ground, when you push the horn button, it completes the circuit to ground, which means the hot wire to the horn itself, should always be hot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your steering column still have the horn wire in it? If it's there, you should be able to tap into it with the wire that goes to the switch that the PO added.

IIRC, the wire that goes in the steering column to the horn button is just a ground, when you push the horn button, it completes the circuit to ground, which means the hot wire to the horn itself, should always be hot.

I'm not actually sure. I won't have a part until the weekend to check for sure. I'm inclined to think they didn't actually remove it altogether. I'm curious about the two wires on the new switch though. With they both need to be spliced together and that splice cconnected to the old wire? I think both wires at the switch need to be present for the horn to work.

Registered
When you say two wires on a switch, it could be either the hot wire or the ground, the switch just breaks the circuit. You could put a volt/Ohm meter on it and find out, if it's the hot wire, you'll get 12 volts, if you don't get 12 volts, set the meter to continuity and check to see if it's grounded.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the PO used random colored wire, without a voltmeter I think it's hot. It's the same red wire used to connect to the battery and connect the two horn units in the engine compartment. There's a separate black wire that goes from one of the horn units to the negative battery post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
It sounds like an aftermarket horn. The horn just needs 12 volts and a ground to work, if the wire is still in the steering column, you just need to find it in the engine compartment, disconnect the ground that goes from the horn(s) to the battery, and connect it to the wire from the steering column, when you push on the horn button, it completes the ground and makes the horn sound. You'll need to remove the PO's switch and connect the hot wires together, unless it's a toggle switch.....then just switch it on. You can test it by removing the horn ground wire from the battery, turn the switch on, and touch the ground to any grounded metal or the battery ground and the horn should work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kinda where my thinking was too. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts