Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been contemplating selling my jeep(for another) and wanting some feedback. I got it stock with 92k on it and it currently has 124k. Like everyone else, I have dumped a lot of $ into mods and upgrades. I live a minimum of 2 hours to any off road trails and like a boat, seldom get out to do anything. I have been toying with getting an XJ for the simple reason of having more seating and storage, and a more ‘secure’ vehicle when locked. I have a soft top. By no means am I done with my yj...I need seats, want a tire carrier bumper, new shocks(bilsteins), and on an on..easily can spend another 2-3k but as we know will never get that money back. I’m on the fence. An xj makes sense because I can carry my softball and umpire gear as well as my sons baseball gear and a few passengers although he will get his license early next year.I feel I might regret it so anyone have any thoughts or same experiences, just thinking out loud. Happy Thanksgiving to all, stay safe!

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
We don't need to talk you out of it... You've been around here long enough to know better...

If you want an XJ get an XJ... That has nothing to do with your YJ...

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I wouldent. I sold a mustang that I regret selling. I dont have any plans to ever sell my TJ

Reactions: steves92

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Be afraid, be very afraid.

Keep the YJ and add an XJ for the daily tasks. The XJ will make a good first vehicle for your boy next year and you'll still have the YJ for the serious wheeling trips.

Airslot hits the hammer on the nail. You'll never get your money out of the YJ and once your son starts driving, he'll want a car. You should be able to find a decent XJ for a couple Grand.

You know doggone well, that if you sell the YJ, you'll end up regretting it.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
629 Posts
^^^ All of the above. The XJ would make a great first vehicle for your son. That way he could become a bit more seasoned at driving in a long wheelbase, and you will still have your short wheelbase. Plus, you can both go four wheeling. It's a win-win situation!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I got sick of jeeps and put mine in storage for 8 years thinking i would probably never do anything with it again. But here i am sinking money and work into it yet again and im glad i didn't sell it. I suggest sticking it in a dark corner of your garage and letting it age like a fine wine. Next time you pull it out of the garage you will be most of the way though the JL's life span and can have fun laughing at them and giving them the jeep modified wave :flipoff:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I needed that reassuranceI’m convinced I need another jeep lol.

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think you may have over ate yesterday and all that food is cutting off the oxygen to your brain...Sell your Jeep??? Your joking right? You need to fast till Monday and then repeat what you just said....i am sure you will stop when you reach the word sell....excess food intake can cause some crazy thoughts....

·
Registered
534 Posts
XJ’s can be had so cheaply. Even one’s with plenty of aftermarket add-on’s. Buy a clean or stock XJ and get on with it. If the additional insurance is an issue, store the YJ until your son acquires his license. Guessing he doesn’t have much interest in the YJ, otherwise you’d already be looking for a second vehicle.

Btw, 20 years later I still regret selling my CJ7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, already looking for replacement seats+yes!!...I ate a lot

My son isn’t totally crazy about the yj. He wants an ‘all black’ car that has bumping sound system. I keep telling him I can help him with that as most of us were in his shoes growing up. But yeah, fourpoint I would be looking for a stock one for him had he shown any interest.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Man, don't do it. I missed it from the day I sold mine. We moved to AK from WA years ago, and I let me CJ rot at my parents house. Finally had to sell it. Missed it the whole time I was up there, and started searching for one when we moved back.

Funny you mention sons and Jeeps. My brat just flew down from AK for turkey day, and he is helping me work on mine tomorrow. He is putting the new LED headlights and relay in. We were looking it over today, and he asked if I was keeping this one. Said he would like to have it if I die, or want to sell it. Says it reminds him of being a kid when we used to go on Jeep runs with the club. Anyhow, point is; keep it for him, even if he doesn't want it right now!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm sure you'll come to the right decision for you. Been some sound advice on here. Personally I don't think I could sell mine as I am already over the limit of what I have put in it versus what it's worth. If you have a solid body and good motor you may want to consider if you do decide to sell then want another how easily can you find one in that shape. Good luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's already been said, but XJs are cheap and plentiful. YJs, not so much. You'll be hard pressed to find another without laying out some decent $$$, if you miss it when it's gone (and you will).

I sold my '78 Dodge Ramcharger last year and have been regretting it ever since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts