Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to use greasable bolts with Johnny Joints? You know, the grade 8 bolts with the holes and grease zerks?
They want $12 a piece for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Where did you find grade 8 greaseable bolts?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I’m not a fan of greasable bolts. My track bar had one on the frame side, and when I was moving stuff around a few years ago I noticed the bolt had bent slightly. I replaced with a solid grade 8, and added a zerk to the joint. At the time JKS used greasable bolts, but have since switched to zerks for the same reason I did.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You're not greasing the joint through the bolt zerk anyway, just keeping the bolt loose in the ball so you can get it out later if need be. The actual joint should be greased through a fitting on the outer cage. Slather the bolt shaft with anti-seize and you should be good for a couple years.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're not greasing the joint through the bolt zerk anyway, just keeping the bolt loose in the ball so you can get it out later if need be. The actual joint should be greased through a fitting on the outer cage. Slather the bolt shaft with anti-seize and you should be good for a couple years.
That actually makes more sense. :bop:

Thank you all for the responses!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
For clarity, don't keep the bolt loose in the ball. The bolt needs to be fully torqued so that there is no movement within the mount.

There are JJ balls with a grease inlet that is indirectly accessed via a grease bolt. But those are for special purposes and I can't imagine that this method of greasing works very well.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I have had a few sets of JJs over the years and if I remember correctly some (but maybe not all) had a hole in the ball itself. That hole seemed like it provided a grease path from the outer housing zirk fitting to the bolt. I think that hole in the ball also lines up with the hole in the bolt.

On a side note, if you plan on servicing your JJs, I suggest investing in or borrowing a JJ assembly tool. While not absolutely necessary it does make the task much easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The only ones that benefit from a greaseable bolt are the press in (driver side) and weld on(passenger side) that go on the axle side of the front axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts