Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK super basic question for those who know. I don't, so here we go. I have a 1310 JE Reel front driveshaft.

1) How often do I need to grease it.
2) What grease do I use?
3) How do I know when I am greasing it that I have greased it enough?

Thanks.

PS do not go to the JE REEL website. Everyone I go I get an alert that says a malware virus is present.

·
Super Moderator
22,454 Posts
I use Lucas Red Tacky and it works great it does not fling too much. I grease mine every 3000 miles or so, after a while you learn not to over grease them. If you play in the mud then I would grease more often but for normal stuff 3000 miles or so has worked for me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Every 3k miles you have to take the drive shaft off and pack the joints with grease? That would be like every 2 months for me. Is this just a JE REEL thing or all after market shafts?

·
Super Moderator
22,454 Posts
Every 3k miles you have to take the drive shaft off and pack the joints with grease? That would be like every 2 months for me. Is this just a JE REEL thing or all after market shafts?
I have a Dana Spicer and it has grease zerks ont the 3 Ujoints and the center ball is sealed. No need to remove it on mine. the zerks are easy to get at.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has only one grease zerk. I assume that's the only place that will need greasing.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't see why it's a big deal, just do it when you rotate tires. Shouldn't take more than five minutes.

Mine has only one grease zerk. I assume that's the only place that will need greasing.
Are you sure it doesn't have the flush style zerks? I guess you could have all sealed u joints and center ball and just grease the slip joint but I don't think I've seen one like that.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how to I know when enough is enough. Should I see it oozing out of somewhere ? I put in about 15 squeezes from the grease gun.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So how to I know when enough is enough. Should I see it oozing out of somewhere ? I put in about 15 squeezes from the grease gun.
That sounds like tons lol. A u joint you will see it squeeze out lightly from the four caps towards the center of the joint. The slip joint I would think four or five pumps is good.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds like tons lol. A u joint you will see it squeeze out lightly from the four caps towards the center of the joint. The slip joint I would think four or five pumps is good.
Yea it's the slip joint. No zerk for the u joint.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand corrected. Found the zerk for the u joint as well. Glad you said that.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If it's fully greaseable there should five. Lower u joint, slip joint, the two u joints in the cv near the transfer case, and then the center ball in the cv which is sometimes hard to get to.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't see why it's a big deal, just do it when you rotate tires. Shouldn't take more than five minutes.

Are you sure it doesn't have the flush style zerks? I guess you could have all sealed u joints and center ball and just grease the slip joint but I don't think I've seen one like that.
Cause It has flush zerks for the ball but I have to remove the damn shaft to do it... Little more than a 5 min job and I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yeah you should also have a flush mount zerk to grease the centering ball as well... It's probably hidden or covered in grease. You'll most likely have to drop the shaft to grease it

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah you should also have a flush mount zerk to grease the centering ball as well... It's probably hidden or covered in grease. You'll most likely have to drop the shaft to grease it
Man this is more involved then I thought. How do I push grease into the flush mounts? I see them and the hole just didn't realize it's a grease port.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Man this is more involved then I thought. How do I push grease into the flush mounts? I see them and the hole just didn't realize it's a grease port.
OK I see I need an adaptor for my grease gun. Ill probably call JE REEL and asked them exactly how many and where all the grease points are.

EDIT: just watched the Teraflex driveline maintenance video. That pretty much explains it all. Looks like I will be seeing if I can get to those zerks with my Rock Hard skids in place. I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
OK I see I need an adaptor for my grease gun. Ill probably call JE REEL and asked them exactly how many and where all the grease points are.

EDIT: just watched the Teraflex driveline maintenance video. That pretty much explains it all. Looks like I will be seeing if I can get to those zerks with my Rock Hard skids in place. I kinda doubt it.
I'd be willing to drink a 12pk and watch you try! :beerdrinking:

I have one like this and one that has a 90 at the tip...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0059HJKBY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1447647982&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=grease+gun+needle&dpPl=1&dpID=414IvR+NegL&ref=plSrch

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be willing to drink a 12pk and watch you try! :beerdrinking:

I have one like this and one that has a 90 at the tip...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0059HJKBY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1447647982&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=grease+gun+needle&dpPl=1&dpID=414IvR+NegL&ref=plSrch
Im in Westminster near the naval station. Your close to enough to actually do that...Lol...I just peeked.. Ill be removing some skids. Now Im just hoping to do it will the driveshaft is installed. Although it isn't much I am hoping I can reach everything without actually removing the DS.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
OK I see I need an adaptor for my grease gun. Ill probably call JE REEL and asked them exactly how many and where all the grease points are. EDIT: just watched the Teraflex driveline maintenance video. That pretty much explains it all. Looks like I will be seeing if I can get to those zerks with my Rock Hard skids in place. I kinda doubt it.
You can buy a grease gun needle at a parts store for about 8 bucks or so. It is four bolts to pull the driveshaft from the TC yoke, you shouldn't need to pull it right out unless you have a bunch of skids or something in the way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts