Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whenever i try to grease the joints I can only get a few pumps before the grease works it's way past the plunger in the gun and just completely comes out. My questions are what is a quality grease gun and or has anyone found an alternative to RK's 000 grease. I think the viscosity is allowing it to slip past the plunger in my cheapish gun. I called RK and they said so use a gun from MSC Industrial but didn't specify which gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Excellent question! Sometimes I can get Rock Krawlers's 000 grease to flow in sometimes not....major PITA!!!! I'm using a grease gun that was around $35 from Advanced Auto

·
Registered
314 Posts
I talked to a RK employee who says that his 8 year old RK arms have only been lubed with Fluid Film aerosol from Amazon. So that's my method. Easy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you spray around the joint? Or through the zerk fitting?

Spray the silver part of the joint. Really though, the control arm joint is tight, it'll take maybe 2 or 3 pumps of grease. Its not a joint that will have grease come out when you're putting new stuff in.

You can measure how much grease come out with each pump. Just pump grease onto a paper towel and that will give a good idea of what goes in each time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will offer this advice - if you are trying to grease the joints on the sway bar end links, I found that the supplied zerks are a bit too long and tighten up to the bushing inside of the joint. I added a small split washer between each zerk and the joint body, which provided enough clearance to allow the bushing/joint to freely move and allowed for grease to be better pumped into the joint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you spray around the joint? Or through the zerk fitting?

Spray the silver part of the joint. Really though, the control arm joint is tight, it'll take maybe 2 or 3 pumps of grease. Its not a joint that will have grease come out when you're putting new stuff in.

You can measure how much grease come out with each pump. Just pump grease onto a paper towel and that will give a good idea of what goes in each time.
Ya i get that the joints are super tight and that's not my concern. It's just that my mini grease gun is garbage and leaks the grease out just sitting there. I'll spraybthe silver part and take the zerks off and spray inside too for extra measure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts