Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I arrived home tonight I noticed a wet/ runny place on the left rear of my 06 TJ. Upon further inspection it is a cloudy/yellowish viscous (gelled almost) liquid. It is running down the tank and skid from a hose that runs up into the tub near the fuel fill hose.

I need help determining what line it is and what the substance is... It smells like rear-end grease but I can't imagine that stuff running down a hose and onto the tank in sub-freezing temperatures.

I appreciate any help.

BMeeks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't had any work done. I'm not sure it's ever been opened. I've only had it in the dirt twice. It does see the interstate daily. Does the rear diff breather run up to the tub near the gas filler? That would make sense because it appears the hose stops up there. I can't find any place it penetrates the tub and it disappears over the gas tank and doesn't come out the other side. Is there a site glass or peep hole in that diff to check the fluid level? I'm hesitant to buy a haynes manual because they generally suck for every vehicle I've bought for in the past. I do have the the link to online service manuals though.. i'll check those out tomm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh.. and thanks for the quick reply!

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Thats exactly what it is, the hose runs up to the filler. It's your differential breather tube and the oil is gear oil from your differential. If you've been to a quick lube or had some work done lately to it it is possible that it has been over filled and is now puking out the vent tube when the diff warms up. If you pull out the plug the oil should come to just below it. Check the level when the jeep is cold and hasn't been moved yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll check that out this weekend. I love forums just for this reason... answers in less than 12 hours :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts