Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day on Auger Hole Trail in Gorges SP, Sapphire, NC. 17.2 miles total in and back. First time putting the new-to-me Rubi through her paces.

Pics at the Horsepasture River crossing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I really need to get back up there myself!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really need to get back up there myself!
It's a great ride, isn't it? This month would be a perfect time of year to go.

Do you know if that road comes out anywhere? We've only ventured past the river about 3 miles, I think it was, and turned around at an old abandoned Toyota hatchback. I'm pretty sure we heard banjo music!

Time before we took that left after you get on the "main" road toward the river and tried to get down to the lake, but some yahoo had set up camp in the middle of the road, fire and all!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We came out at the lake as well, at the end of the road as I remember. There is another road coming back from there that will take you the long way back to Horsepasture Rd.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This is Beautiful,(Love Your Jeep), where is this? is it open to the public and legal? I was in Boone, NC last week, Please send me info,I live in S.C. and take JEEP Trips to N.C. quite often. and Thanks so much for the pics!!! I love this, my kind of Jeep Trails!!!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Going that way in a couple of weeks. Heading down SC Hwy. 11 to 178 into NC and then over to Cashiers on Hwy. 64. Will check this out. Looks like a nice place.

Time to check the leaves!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going that way in a couple of weeks. Heading down SC Hwy. 11 to 178 into NC and then over to Cashiers on Hwy. 64. Will check this out. Looks like a nice place.

Enjoy! I'm up in the greater Cashiers/Highlands area a few times a month for work. Love it up there.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

From a previous trip....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't know you could drive that trail. Their website gives the impression it is hike and bike only. Must check it out. Thanks for posting.
I believe part of the trail, the eastern-ish section, is foot and bike. If I understand the maps correctly, the foot trail joins a forest service gravel road at the point where the 4x4-only access road from the Rainbow Falls parking area joins the forest service road.

In other words, if you take the access road (not sure if there is a name for it...) which begins through a (typically open) gate at the bottom of the Rainbow Falls parking lot inside the Gorges State Park, travel a few miles in, you will intersect with a portion of Auger Hole trail. At this point you'll bear right and you will be on a gravel forest service road that eventually leads to the Horsepasture River crossing (a flat steel bridge) and beyond. Here's the bridge: 35.061348, -82.946999 - gives a good perspective as to just how far "in" it is.

We've only been "beyond" for 3 or so miles and turned around, but I think that eventually the road comes out somewhere... just not sure where. Maybe back on 281 near the NC/SC border?

While we've been in solo, I don't recommend it. Better to have a wingman that far from civilization!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
We've only been "beyond" for 3 or so miles and turned around, but I think that eventually the road comes out somewhere... just not sure where. Maybe back on 281 near the NC/SC border?

While we've been in solo, I don't recommend it. Better to have a wingman that far from civilization!
Is the trail rough or just a gravel road? If I go there I will probably be on my own but I have a lot of ohv driving experience. I just don't want to get stuck too far in for an Uber pickup!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Where was that photo taken?? Nice!
A place called "Jumping Off Rock". Probably the highest point on the trail or road over looking lake Jocassee.

Reactions: WNC Jeeper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the trail rough or just a gravel road? If I go there I will probably be on my own but I have a lot of ohv driving experience. I just don't want to get stuck too far in for an Uber pickup!
Yeah, no cell/data service, so Uber is out! :)

You'll be fine with your rig. Some ungroomed gravel, some rough with deep ruts, so look ahead and pick your path. Lots of water diversion humps on the access road in. Just enough variation to keep it interesting.

Enjoy! And post some pics after.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Exactly where will I access the trail head off of 281?
About 7.75 miles toward Rosman, NC from the intersection of Moorefield Memorial Hwy and SC-11 Cherokee Foothills Scenic Hwy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts