Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Exactly where will I access the trail head off of 281?
Jeep access is in Gorges State Park in Sapphire, NC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
About 7.75 miles toward Rosman, GA from the intersection of Moorefield Memorial Hwy and SC-11 Cherokee Foothills Scenic Hwy.
So in the Jocassee Gorges Management area?

Thats a different "Gorges" than Gorges State Park in Sapphire.

Now I'm confused... Dmc1, which trail head are you looking for? I think we're talking about 2 different trails around Jocassee.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is Beautiful,(Love Your Jeep), where is this? is it open to the public and legal? I was in Boone, NC last week, Please send me info,I live in S.C. and take JEEP Trips to N.C. quite often. and Thanks so much for the pics!!! I love this, my kind of Jeep Trails!!!!!
Tcooler02 - sorry I missed your post & questions from last week. Look through this thread and see if it answers your questions. It is legal and open to the public. I don't know if it's open year 'round or if they close it in the winter.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the Jeep compliment!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

Now I'm confused... Dmc1, which trail head are you looking for? I think we're talking about 2 different trails around Jocassee.
Yea I got confused there when I saw the word, Horsepasture.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tcooler02 - sorry I missed your post & questions from last week. Look through this thread and see if it answers your questions. It is legal and open to the public. I don't know if it's open year 'round or if they close it in the winter.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the Jeep compliment!
Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts

I was looking for the one in Sapphire. We go down hwy. 11 and go up 178 into NC and then take 64 over to Cashiers. We are actually going to stay in Cashiers so I wanted to drop down to Gorges off of 281. Is this the right Gorges?

I would also would love to know where the trail head is off of 178 as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was looking for the one in Sapphire. We go down hwy. 11 and go up 178 into NC and then take 64 over to Cashiers. We are actually going to stay in Cashiers so I wanted to drop down to Gorges off of 281. Is this the right Gorges?
Yep, Gorges State Park. Once you're back down the mountain from Cashiers in Sapphire, turn right on 281 and the entrance to the park will be about 1 mi on the left.

Drive into the park to the Rainbow Falls trail parking area. At the bottom of the paved parking area you'll see a gravel road that takes off from there. That's the "access road" I wrote about a few posts up.

Be sure to stop at the visitor's center while you're there. It's pretty cool.

I think I'll have to make a trip to the area H8SPVMT is talking about. That looks like a great ride. Can't beat that view.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yep, Gorges State Park. Once you're back down the mountain from Cashiers in Sapphire, turn right on 281 and the entrance to the park will be about 1 mi on the left.

Drive into the park to the Rainbow Falls trail parking area. At the bottom of the paved parking area you'll see a gravel road that takes off from there. That's the "access road" I wrote about a few posts up.

Be sure to stop at the visitor's center while you're there. It's pretty cool.

I think I'll have to make a trip to the area H8SPVMT is talking about. That looks like a great ride. Can't beat that view.

Thanks again. Looks like H8SPVMT may be on to something too.:bop:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Beautiful day on Auger Hole Trail in Gorges SP, Sapphire, NC. 17.2 miles total in and back. First time putting the new-to-me Rubi through her paces.

Pics at the Horsepasture River crossing.
Beautiful pics, Im going March 2020, you think my all stock 2016 Wrangler Sahara will make it through ok? Thanks, Thomas Cooler, Ridgeland S.C.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Beautiful pics, Im going March 2020, you think my all stock 2016 Wrangler Sahara will make it through ok? Thanks, Thomas Cooler, Ridgeland S.C.
I think you'll do fine. Mostly gravel roads. A good GPS to track for you and get a picture of any maps that you can use. If you're not good at navigation out in the woods, take a friend.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts