Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was envious of a few posters who had done some excellent custom flashlight mounts beside the driver's seat. This is a ridiculously handy location. Check out examples from these users and threads:

Now, I wouldn't have started a new thread for my project, but I feel I can reset things to share some "best practices" from newer technology and the experiences of others.

First of all, if you have a Costco nearby, they are selling the best flashlight I have ever, ever used for only $18.99. The beam is incredibly adjustable and smooth and bright at every diameter, plus it's 1/4 of the price of lesser flashlights I was buying just a few years back. This is a 4-C cell flashlight, which promises plenty of life for the LED era. Honestly, I can't stop finding a reason to buy more of these things on every visit (it's really dark here in the Pacific Northwest). Here is the item: Duracell Durabeam Ultra 1300

I set out to mount it just like my skilled predecessors. But while reviewing clip-style mounts, I learned that the Maglite mounts many have used are very susceptible to breakage. Fortunately, there's a better item on the market. These Delrin mounts have much better reviews and I feel I can already vouch for them: SAS Safety "C" Size Flashlight Clamp Mounts
(Unfortunately, at the time of this review, they are unavailable, only a week or so after I bought mine. I can share with you that these are the guys behind that Amazon listing, so you can watch their site for availability: Gunslinger Motorcycle Tours)

Now, for the bracket. My goal was to use two of the three the existing seat frame holes: no modifications to the JK. Thanks to a habit of hoarding anything metal for use in future projects, I had some very old, stiff 1/8" aluminum brackets. I sized things up simply by clipping the mounts on the flashlight in the desired locations and tracing them on the aluminum. Trace four holes for the mounts and two for the seat frame, too. Hacksaw, grind, trace, center punch, drill, orbital sand, clean, prime, texture spray paint, done. I also happened to have some leftover #10 - 32 hardware which was a perfect fit for both the Delrin mounts and the seat frame. Of course, meticulous me had to paint all exposed hardware flat black. And the Overthinker always aligns all screw heads the same direction, too.

Anyway, the pictures below round out the story: Parts (including a bracket like the one I started with), as-installed, and a pitch-dark photo using the flashlight and no camera flash on my little forest waterfall about 12 feet away.

Final thoughts:

• The flashlight fits the mount in either direction with millimeters to spare for no seat or frame contact in any location.
  • Sadly, the "Duracell" logo is upside-down when flashlight is facing forward, the direction I prefer it. I'll get over it.
  • I cannot easily remove the flashlight with the door closed, though I'm very much OK with that.
  • Black and green color scheme isn't perfect for my anvil Jeep, but it offsets the Quadretec logo in the floormats nicely.
  • I am not affiliated with any company or product mentioned in my post.

I look forward to many years of service from this luminescent beast. Thanks for reading; I hope this helps someone along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
I want to thank you for letting me know about the flashlight deal. I was given a 3-pack of Duracell 600 lumen LED flashlights as a gift and I love those lights. Costco has that same three pack for 19.99. They seem very high quality, but cheap enough that you are not going to break the bank. I went to Costco and got this big brother to the three I had. The light output is amazing. I am sure there are brighter lights out there, but for $19 I do not think this can be beat.

For the mounts I was looking at the online clips you suggested, but with them being out of stock I went hunting. I saw the quickfists, but those seem overkill for a flashlight I want easy access to. I found these at Walmart. I am thinking they are discontinued as I could not find them online. The bonus is that each 2 pack was only $1.97. I grabbed a couple packs.

They seem plenty strong, almost too strong where the metal will mark up the flashlight. I am going to paint them black, but I also experimented with some heat shrink tubing to cushion the gripping surface. I think it will work out really well. I may go back and clear out this walmart of these at this price. i would not use them to hold an axe or something like that in the back of the Jeep, but a flashlight or two, especially mounted down low on the seat where it would not be a projectile.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Great post. Great ingenuity and creativity - My only advice is keep a check on your flashlight choices. Often times when you need a light.... You Really NEED a Light. It needs to be there waiting for you and "Jump" into service.
My Flashlights of choice are considerably more expensive and while expensive doesn't always mean quality... sometimes it does.
I have never had a Light Fail.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I completely agree with you, I know there are some great lights out there that set the bar on quality and reliability. I would love to have a nice Surefire or Nitecore light and I have a couple dive lights that are much more expensive and can survive 500' or so underwater, I'm just not going to mount them in my Jeep.

Unfortunately I tend to loan things like this out and then never get them back or simply misplace them, so this is more reasonable for me. To make up for it I keep at least two flashlights in the Jeep, one under the front seat and another in the back mounted in front of the subwoofer. I check and swap out the batteries in them every six months or so as part of my first aid/emergency provisions inventory check. Hopefully they would never both be dead. I am sure that if I spent $100+ I would treat the lamp a little better so it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I will say the one thing I do not like about this lamp is that the switch is on the end. For a small hand-sized light this makes sense. For a bigger flashlight like this I would much prefer a switch on the side towards the front of the light. Only time will tell on the durability of the flashlight - hopefully I hold on to it long enough to find out :doh:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts