Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Jeepers!!! Getting ready to flush out the coolant on my 92- 4 cyl. wrangler. Should I fill the radiator with the green or red coolant and whats the dif.??

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The green sutff is what is supposed to be in there. The orange stuff is called Dexcool which is supposed to be high mileage coolant made for Chevy I think. There is some "mix with any color" stuff you can get at some places, but you Jeep had the green stuff in it when it was made

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Mopars like green for sure.

One thing you NEVER want to do is Mix Orange (Dexcool) and Green (Ethylene Glycol) coolants. The two substances react together to from a very thick gel that, in a nutshell, destroys the internals of your entire cooling system. You'd basically have to swap in another engine to cure the gelling problem.

I think the coolant type has something to do with the materials used. Our engines use a lot of cast iron throughout and Green coolant is what works the best. Orange coolant supposedly can rust cast iron out if any bit of oxygen gets into the system.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Xpress said:
Mopars like green for sure.

One thing you NEVER want to do is Mix Orange (Dexcool) and Green (Ethylene Glycol) coolants. The two substances react together to from a very thick gel that, in a nutshell, destroys the internals of your entire cooling system. You'd basically have to swap in another engine to cure the gelling problem.

I think the coolant type has something to do with the materials used. Our engines use a lot of cast iron throughout and Green coolant is what works the best. Orange coolant supposedly can rust cast iron out if any bit of oxygen gets into the system.
That's good to know since my SS uses Dex and almost grabbed the wrong container the other day for the Jeep!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts