Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am debating on buying a grill guard for my Bestop HighRock High Access front bumper but i dont do any night wheeling therefore i dont need off road lights...my question is, does it make sense for me to buy a grill guard if i wont be mounting lights to it?? :confused:

TIA
Jeff

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Hey, I have a light bar without lights....on a Jeep Wrangler that really never goes off road.

It is your money bro...if you want it...get it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sure why not? I have the same bumper with a chrome grill guard with lights. I would do it without lights too because the chrome gives a nice accent with my chrome wheels. I say do it, however, be prepared to be looking at the tabs and thinking that since they are there... might as well buy lights too!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure why not? I have the same bumper with a chrome grill guard with lights. I would do it without lights too because the chrome gives a nice accent with my chrome wheels. I say do it, however, be prepared to be looking at the tabs and thinking that since they are there... might as well buy lights too!
yea, thats exactly what im expecting...OR dremel em off...although lights would look pretty cool. after all, there are mods that are for looks only, yes, its true. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
i am debating on buying a grill guard for my Bestop HighRock High Access front bumper but i dont do any night wheeling therefore i dont need off road lights...my question is, does it make sense for me to buy a grill guard if i wont be mounting lights to it?? :confused:

TIA
Jeff
Unless you love the look, no. I put your exact combo on my friend's arctic, (best-top high access with grill guard) and unlike my rampage (welded on,) the besttop grill guard is held on by 4 tiny bolts on each end. It would snap right off if hit. So, if you are doing it for looks, by all means. If you are doing it for strength, don't bother.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As stated, do what YOU want! :) IMO, it looks great on my wifes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bought a Warn elite with the grill guard specifically for the added protection against deer. Aftermarket bumper replacement if I ever have an incident at lower speeds is cheaper than grill, hood, and body work.

Is it real protection against anything major? I doubt it, but what is?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Bought a Warn elite with the grill guard specifically for the added protection against deer. Aftermarket bumper replacement if I ever have an incident at lower speeds is cheaper than grill, hood, and body work.

Is it real protection against anything major? I doubt it, but what is?
A welded bull bar aka grill guard will add tons of protection. We have a guy in the rampage bumper thread that hit a deer at 70mph and managed a 3" scratch on his Powdercoat. I am not knocking the bumper, it's a nice bumper, but a grill guard that's bolted on is nothing but a mount for lights and aesthetics. There is no added strength.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A welded bull bar aka grill guard will add tons of protection. We have a guy in the rampage bumper thread that hit a deer at 70mph and managed a 3" scratch on his Powdercoat. I am not knocking the bumper, it's a nice bumper, but a grill guard that's bolted on is nothing but a mount for lights and aesthetics. There is no added strength.

It's not bolted on the Warn, it's a solid weld, not sure on the OP's though I'm guessing he's talking bolt on since he's buying the bull bar after. Thanks for the words of confidence. I spent the extra few $ for the assurance, but never really trusted it. At 70mph, that's a ton of potential damage with even a small doe.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I did it without the lights for a while, but when ready get them. I only use them on occasion camping and setting up my tent at night, but worth it and look good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I too run the Bestop and just posted a thread about my installation. I have my Hella Black Magic lights setup to work with my high beams. The bar is a bolt on as mentioned, so mostly for looks and light mounts. The bumper is very beefy however.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those with the Bestop grill guards, would it be possible to mount Hellas where the winch would mount versus using the light tabs provided? I dont see a winch in the near futureand id like to fill the void somehow, this was my thought...

·
Registered
199 Posts
You could simply use the front holes on the bumper to mount the lights and the back holes to fish the wires. Very easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts