Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am interested in buying a grill guard for my yj. Here in Utah someone hits a deer every hour or so. My insurance is liability only. So I need protection. Here's the deal. I do not want one that flares forward like a stinger. I have this euro guard. in mind but it only is held on by 4 bottom bolts which seems weak in a real hit if you consider the leverage that would impact the top. Can anyone find anything of this style but stronger??

Attachments

305 Posts
How's this?

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/bu....html?osCsid=635927d210456c1b5f6c05c496e9f384

Now THATS strong.

You could go straight into a bull and I bet that thing will hold up. As for a stinger- the slant that the bumper has to it is basically what gives it strength. A tube that's impacted on it's side (due to it being upwards) will bend much easier than a tube that is slanted towards the impact (AKA a stinger), because most of the impact is taken against the tube, and not being absorbed by the base of the bumper. As for a tube that is slanted forward, the slant allows it to take a harder impact- which will be absorbed by the base of the bumper, also- that slant is what can push an animal down if you were to ever be in the misfortune of hitting one, sending it under your jeep instead of your windshield.

Stingers are meant to hold your jeep if it were to tip forward. A normal completely vertical bumper would bend back towards the grill and retain much less stress in comparison to a stinger because of it's lack of that crucial slant.

In my opinion a stinger would be much better if you were to hit a deer or animal, but the choice is yours my friend. It's your taste and your jeep. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That look awesome! But pricey! And I will certainly reconsider getting a stinger. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ya stingers are really good for shedding hits, think of someone punching you in the chest. It will hurt alot more if you take it straight on than if you were to twist and let it hit at an angle. (the stinger is the angled hit lol)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Big enough I thought she was going to come up over the hood, luckily I was only doing about 45 mph

·
Registered
89 Posts
The deer we have in Florida are so small I doubt they would even touch your bumper.

I live in a part of Texas where deer/vehicle hits happen quite often. I've found that when the deer is hit, the deer tends to roll from the front of the vehicle around to the side of the vehicle causing a lot of damage to the driver's side door and rear quarter panel. Here, the average deer weighs around 110-lbs. to maybe 120-lbs. Most vehicles have grille guards which do protect the front end of the vehicle. 'Ranch Hand' is the most common brand of grille guard.

Chuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts