Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who installed the mesh on the grille noticed that the car gets hotter?

I feel that the under carriage of the jk is cooking after 40 mins in traffic.

Ur input of any kind is highly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That is one reason I won't install it. People in my Jeep group have seen their temps increase and people have posted about it here as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
That is one reason I won't install it. People in my Jeep group have seen their temps increase and people have posted about it here as well.
I tried them on two different occasions, and they increased engine temps for me. I took them off and boxed them up. My 3.6L runs plenty hot, I didn't need to add to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I never had an issue with the mesh grill I made; so far it's been like 8 months and normal temperature.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Gonna call bullshit on heat issues. Didn't change a thing per my digital temp gauges (in Texas heat.)

First I used the gutter guard from Lowe's, then a freak hailstorm demolished it so now I run a dirty acres grille mesh. Same story zero degree change vs no insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have one on my 2016 Rubicon. The engine runs the same temp, and the radiator and trans cooler look much better than my 2014 did with out. They do run too hot though, we need a programer that will turn the fan on sooner.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The mesh seems to be fine. I bought the plastic inserts that have the holes in them and mine ran about 10 degrees warmer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I never had an issue with the mesh grill I made; so far it's been like 8 months and normal temperature.
What brand is that insert? I am looking to get one as I will be towing mine behind my RV and I don't want debris kicked up into my radiator. Some I have seen seem to be much more restrictive than this one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed one 3 months ago. Absolutely no increase in engine temps and I have been watching.
It won't increase the temp of the coolant but put more load on ur fan and engine to cool it down to make everything seem ok

·
Registered
86 Posts
What brand is that insert? I am looking to get one as I will be towing mine behind my RV and I don't want debris kicked up into my radiator. Some I have seen seem to be much more restrictive than this one.
I got this from eBay and it fit tight and did not like the fit; I went ahead and started cutting the mesh into pieces. I also bought nylon ties and inserts from the local Home Depot store. I secured the mesh behind the grill using Gorilla Glue with the plastic insert mounts. I never had any issue with it since then nor any increase of the temperature. The mesh really helps the look of the Jeep and also keeps the bugs off my radiator during those long drive.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
It won't increase the temp of the coolant but put more load on ur fan and engine to cool it down to make everything seem ok

Sorry, don't buy it. I noticed no difference at all. If anything it would be a degree or two, and we are talking the mesh not a perforated insert. I would assume if the engine was working harder my mileage would go down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the look so installed one I got off eBay and took note of the engine temp both before and after. Absolutely no change for me. Now with over 3000 miles since the install, I worry no more.

·
Registered
853 Posts
image-1056988386.jpg mine is the same/no change in temperature.if anything my 2012 didn't have a mesh guard and the radiator was wrecked from rocks etc...my 2016 with the metalcrafters grill has no imperfections!money well spent! You may need to get your system checked/flushed?

·
Registered
242 Posts

Nonsense. My fan almost never comes on. For me, regular air flow through radiator due to car moving forward provides just about all of the cooling. Coolant temps stay in the 206 - 220 range. In fact, on one particular stretch of highway the temp was always 208 at about 70 mph before installing the mesh. After installing the mesh on the same stretch of highway, same speed, and same outside temps, coolant temp = 208.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I measured the air flow with and without the grill insert.
The error bars are huge and I'm not sure there is a statically significant difference, but it appears that the grill cuts down the airflow by about 5%.
Then I added a strip of aluminum between the bottom of the radiator and bumper to stop air flowing under the radiator, and airflow increased 12% (again, lots of noise), so everything is relative.
The main thing is to look at the open area on the mesh. I've seen inserts that have to be 70% covered, and they are going to reduce air flow to the point where you will overheat. Even an open mesh is 25% or so covered area.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I measured the air flow with and without the grill insert.
The error bars are huge and I'm not sure there is a statically significant difference, but it appears that the grill cuts down the airflow by about 5%.
Then I added a strip of aluminum between the bottom of the radiator and bumper to stop air flowing under the radiator, and airflow increased 12% (again, lots of noise), so everything is relative.
The main thing is to look at the open area on the mesh. I've seen inserts that have to be 70% covered, and they are going to reduce air flow to the point where you will overheat. Even an open mesh is 25% or so covered area.
That's awesome... What did you use to come up with ur data?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts