Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin to go from a smittybilt/eautogrilles tire carrier/bumper to a genright carrier.

Im trying to keep the bumper, but Id have to cut off the piece on the driver side that the handle attaches to...

and the spindle on the passenger side that the carrier arm attaches to

Is a regular grinder w/ some good discs enough to chop these things off? Maybe a little heat too? Don't have too much experience w. grinders

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think im just going to start pm'ing whenever I need to post a question kj. you post in almost all my threads . Thanks man!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
What you need is a 5" grinder with a 3/32" zip cut disc. The offset ones work the best. Cut directly in the center of weld on all sides, but not into the bumper material itself. Then use a flat or bullnose chisel and hammer the chisel directly into the cut to crack the weld. Break the final bit of weld and remove your pieces. Then use a quarter inch thick disc to take down what's left to about a 1/32" high. Do not use the zip disc to grind material down. Then switch up to a 60 grit flap disc grinding at a 10-15 degree angle until the weld has been ground to the parent material. Make sure you wear long sleeved shirt, gloves, dust mask, safety glasses, and a shield. Zip discs will explode if you twist, jam, or look at them wrong. Make sure you leave the handle on the grinder, use the gaurd, and grind so that the sparks come toward you, but not directly, so that if it catches, it doesn't shoot back and catch you in the nuts or face. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts