Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 LJ 6spd standard trans (hydraulic):

This winter I noticed when I attempt to shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the gear grinds and takes a second for me to engage the gear. It will not do this when the Jeep is fully heated up to running temp. Is this something to worry about (bad synchros) or is it the gear is just not properly lubricated in colder temps?

·
Registered
260 Posts
2006 LJ 6spd standard trans (hydraulic): This winter I noticed when I attempt to shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the gear grinds and takes a second for me to engage the gear. It will not do this when the Jeep is fully heated up to running temp. Is this something to worry about (bad synchros) or is it the gear is just not properly lubricated in colder temps?
I had this problem and flushed my tranny and it got a lot better. Still does it cold, but always works when warmed up.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
2006 LJ 6spd standard trans (hydraulic): This winter I noticed when I attempt to shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the gear grinds and takes a second for me to engage the gear. It will not do this when the Jeep is fully heated up to running temp. Is this something to worry about (bad synchros) or is it the gear is just not properly lubricated in colder temps?
I had issues also, I had changed my fluid with Penzoil syncromesh...had a lot of heat and rough shifts. Flushed that crap and switched to Redline MTL....HUGE improvement! I'd start with the simple then spend money on a professional diagnosis.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sinister6, happen to have a link of pic of which kind of MTL to get, and where to get it? I have an Oreilly's nearby.

·
Commercial Member
7,891 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same issue, changing tranny oil helped, but not immediately. Now problem seems to be gone.

When you take the bottom plug out examine the magnet, there will probably be a bunch of crap on it. small shavings are expected, gold shavings or specks are indicative of the synchro deteriorating. post a pic of what it looks like.

Also if the problem persists, try double clutching into second, can help ease onto a bad synchro. Double clutch by clutch pedal in -> put in neutral -> clutch pedal out -> pedal in -> 2nd gear, then make sure to match revs since it will probably take a bit longer than a standard gear change.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I changed the fluid with MTL. Still a little grind into second but a little better. Here's a picture of the drain plug. No yellow shavings suggesting worn syncros but I feel as if they are still the problem. Or maybe it takes a while for the fluid to "heal?"

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts