Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift to 4H, if I pull all the way back to the stop (to the point where if going to N I would move shifter to the right), I get grinding. If I pull the shifter to the point right before the stop, then it shifts into 4H ok.

Is there an adjustment I can make, or is this normal?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like the shifter linkage is off. Under the jeep, directly under the transfer case shifter there is a rod that connects the shifter to the transfercase. Loosen the set screw to this rod and put the transfercase all the way into 2H, with the shifter coming out of the transfercase, and then make sure the shifter in the cab is all the way forward, in 2H. Tighten the set screw back down. This should fix it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the shifter linkage is off. Under the jeep, directly under the transfer case shifter there is a rod that connects the shifter to the transfercase. Loosen the set screw to this rod and put the transfercase all the way into 2H, with the shifter coming out of the transfercase, and then make sure the shifter in the cab is all the way forward, in 2H. Tighten the set screw back down. This should fix it.
I see the set screw, but looks like a PITA to get to.
I'm thinking a long ratchet extension and a swivel extension is needed.
Am I on the right track or is there a trick to this I'm missing?

(too much snow on the ground to do this right now so I did't give it a try when I saw that it may take a little longer than I thought)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts