Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have this problem with my 08 JKU where I am/was getting a grinding noise from what I believe is my left rear. So here's my story...

I've recently replaced all 4 rotars and pads and my front 2 calipers, now I had a grinding noise from my left rear before I replaced the brakes, I was in desperate need of new brakes. So after the brakes were replaced I was shocked to still find a very audible grinding noise from the back left, but now it only happens when I make left hand turns.

I thought it was my shocks, being 8 years old and have done some jumping on the rear end I was confident the noise was bad shocks, I was sadly mistaken.
Just days before I went to have the shocks put on, the noise drastically subsided, it's nothing but a faint version of what it was before, and after the new shocks were put on it's even fainter...but it's still there.

The shop who installed my shocks checked my wheel bearings, but did not believe that was the problem, they said they could hear the noise when they rotated my wheel and they believe it's in my rear end.

So, oddly enough I've had a front and rear gear kit sitting around my house for about 7 years I've never had installed and I can see about finding someone to do that now.

Here's my question, why would my rear end make a grinding noise from the left side when I make left hand turns only? I can't even imagine a bearing just grinding from the left when making a left hand turn or even the gears in my rear end.

So does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? I've sunk a lot of money into my Jeep last year and it's killing me that I still have problems (I've yet to replace my water pump that leaks even). Any ideas you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This sounds like what my Grand Cherokee did. The dealership had it for a different reason and said that it was the carrier bearings. Unfortunately my wife was hit in it and it was totaled before we fixed it so I can't tell you if that was really the problem.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Sounds like you need to remove the diff cover and have a look inside for any damage.

Reactions: flukeSG1

·
Retired Moderator
100,668 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Reactions: flukeSG1
1 - 4 of 4 Posts