Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title says it all. recently whenever i go into 4wd(which i have been doing during wet conditions bc of bald tires) 80% of the time it will start making some unusual clunking when upshifting/downshifting, and 20% just making one of the most god awful grinding noises i’ve ever heard, like someone is purposefully grinding the clutch; eventually the clunking will start grinding if it doesn’t immediately.

so i looked online and most people find it’s usually due to the transfer case not meshing with the clutch and solution is to just go through all the gears/ neutral(tried this to no avail), but it doesn’t seem to have any rhyme or reason to the sound: it grinds when shifter is in gear regardless of whether or not the clutch is in(grinding in neutral??) so i think it may just be the fluids bc i replaced the transmission and rear diff fluids recently and it was really old so i imagine the transfer case fluid must be bad too.

want to see if anyone on here has had any similar issues/what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your clutch has nothing to do with the transfer case. If it doesn't grind without the 4x4 engaged, then your transfer case is likely shot.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Are you sure your completely engaging 4wd? If you don’t get the handle pulled all the way up you’ll get the same symptoms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so based on what you guys are saying I did some research on my options since it looks like i'll have to pull the transfer case regardless of what i end up doing, and it looks like either i'm going to have to rebuild it or figure out which part is broken and replace it. since rebuild kits are pretty cheap i think i'm gonna go that route.

anyone have any brands that make good rebuild kits? thinking i'll just buy it from summit racing or something

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
so based on what you guys are saying I did some research on my options since it looks like i'll have to pull the transfer case regardless of what i end up doing, and it looks like either i'm going to have to rebuild it or figure out which part is broken and replace it. since rebuild kits are pretty cheap i think i'm gonna go that route.

anyone have any brands that make good rebuild kits? thinking i'll just buy it from summit racing or something
Sometimes it seems to be a waste of breath/keystrokes to try to help folks. Hasn’t tried any inexpensive logical suggestions. Heck just replace the Jeep. Problem solved.
:pc-ouch:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes it seems to be a waste of breath/keystrokes to try to help folks. Hasn’t tried any inexpensive logical suggestions. Heck just replace the Jeep. Problem solved.
:pc-ouch:
sorry i ignored your question. yes i am sure it was in 4wd because i have used it several times with no issue. also, it has happened 3-4 times so i know can't be user error every time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Do you think it might be more important to replace slick worn out tires before fixing the transfer case issue? It won’t do you a lot of good to make your Jeep go, but not be able to make it stop?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Correction to my above post. I jumped to the bad T-case conclusion. The more experienced people here have the better diagnosis.

As already mentioned, check the linkage first, or have it checked.

It's possible the T-case is bad, but much more likely the shifter linkage has come loose and not allowing the T-case to engage fully.

Loose linkage is not user error, if it is loose and out of alignment you often cannot tell by the shift lever that it is not moving the T-case shift arm to the proper location. Infact, what you are describing sounds exactly like the symptoms of loose linkage.

Also, a decent set of used tires is better than bald ones.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If there is a body lift does that affect linkage length?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don’t remember any kind of adjustment on the shift rods. Mines got a 1” body lift too, but that was done by the previous owner. I’ve been under there checking stuff out and haven’t noticed adjustable parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think it might be more important to replace slick worn out tires before fixing the transfer case issue? It won’t do you a lot of good to make your Jeep go, but not be able to make it stop?
beat you to the punch, already replaced them a few days ago:bop:. i was actually writing up this post while waiting on them to be swapped out lol.

i took it to a small mechanic near me to take a look at it real quick and he told me it wasn't the linkage, but i'm gonna ask my auto teacher to take a look too. luckily i shouldn't have to use it in rainy weather since the new tires are on.

buying a repair kit for the linkage is a cool $12 from quadratec incase i can't just tighten it back up lol.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
title says it all. recently whenever i go into 4wd(which i have been doing during wet conditions bc of bald tires) 80% of the time it will start making some unusual clunking when upshifting/downshifting, and 20% just making one of the most god awful grinding noises i’ve ever heard, like someone is purposefully grinding the clutch; eventually the clunking will start grinding if it doesn’t immediately.

so i looked online and most people find it’s usually due to the transfer case not meshing with the clutch and solution is to just go through all the gears/ neutral(tried this to no avail), but it doesn’t seem to have any rhyme or reason to the sound: it grinds when shifter is in gear regardless of whether or not the clutch is in(grinding in neutral??) so i think it may just be the fluids bc i replaced the transmission and rear diff fluids recently and it was really old so i imagine the transfer case fluid must be bad too.

want to see if anyone on here has had any similar issues/what they did to fix it.
Are you running manual hubs and are they unlocked? If so, lock them and the grinding when you shift into 4Hi will go away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Are you running manual hubs and are they unlocked? If so, lock them and the grinding when you shift into 4Hi will go away.
hubs are not manual. the transfer case was functioning on the trail till a few weeks ago it started up with this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
More information on the specifics of your Jeep Would always be more helpful! But to try a suggestion in the dark. An old or worn out TC mounting bracket can sometimes cause this issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, so I narrowed down the issue to being with the internals of the t-case, but because of pricing it is more time and cost effective to just buy a used case instead of rebuilding.

After doing some research I found a np231 with 23 splines(same as mine) from a '99 XJ cherokee for $75, so i'm wondering if it would bolt in without modifications, or if the spindle length/input shaft/output shaft is different in some way.

I'm gonna get it soon since its from a yard with a 60 day warranty, so worst case scenario I return it.

edit: the XJ is also a 4.0L with a MT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts