Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around the end of December I picked up a 1998 Jeep TJ with 53k original miles. So far all is well and it is a blast to drive. This is not my first TJ so I am already familiar with the platform. Here is the issue I am having:

When I go to shift the Jeep into reverse there is some pretty serious grinding. I know that Jeeps trans are not syncrod and I am familiar with the double clutching method to help put it into gear. That is not the issue I am having. My other TJ will occasionally be challenging to put into reverse but I can fix that by clutch-fourth-cluth-neutral-clutch-reverse. My 1998 TJ (the one I am posting about) will grinding going into reverse 95% of the time. It usually does not grind when I first start the vehicle up and put it into reverse to back out of the parking spot. But i usually give it a little bit to idle down and then put it into reverse. If I was to pull up to a parking spot after a drive and then put it into reverse to back into the spot, it will grind. The way I somewhat avoid the grinding is by stopping the Jeep completely, waiting 1-2 seconds, and then slowly putting it into reverse. When I do this, I can feel the teeth of the transmission still spinning but if I slowly ease it into reverse it will stop the teeth and let me go into reverse.

I know TJs have a lot of issues going into reverse but this is not a common issue that could be overlooked. My fear is that I could be doing more damage to my transmission by grinding those teeth a little bit when putting it into reverse. The Jeep is a 4.0L with the manual trans. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The best way I have found is push the clutch in, shift into first gear, then shift into Reverse, then start letting the clutch out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was having similar issues last Sumer. A new clutch slave/master cylinder solved my problem. What about 1st gear? Does it slide into 1st smooth or a little sticky?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Reverse gear is not synchronized on the AX15 so it will grind without the proper shifting technique. As suggested above, that technique is simply to momentarily shift into any forward gear first before shifting into Reverse. Lots of manual transmissions don't have a synchronized Reverse gear. My 66 VW beetle did either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I cannot get answers. My 99 grinds going into reverse while stopped, at first start up. Why would the input shaft be turning to cause grinding, short of a dragging clutch?

No issue if I stab it in reverse before starting the engine, or I can put it in a another forward gear, let the clutch out til it starts to grab, clutch and quickly into reverse without grind. BUT, I am attempting to determine if my brand new clutch job is the problem or something else.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I cannot get answers. My 99 grinds going into reverse while stopped, at first start up. Why would the input shaft be turning to cause grinding, short of a dragging clutch?

No issue if I stab it in reverse before starting the engine, or I can put it in a another forward gear, let the clutch out til it starts to grab, clutch and quickly into reverse without grind. BUT, I am attempting to determine if my brand new clutch job is the problem or something else.
Did you read and try what was suggested in post #5 above?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Learning how to shift into reverse without grinding is like learning to start moving when stopped in the middle of a hill. Follow all the recommendation above and practice a lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny how some acknowledge a clear mechanical problem while others claim this is simply a matter of me learning how to drive a standard transmission.

I know how and can drive this Jeep just fine, but can you answer why there is anything to grind from first start up? Nothing in transmission should be spinning.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Funny how some acknowledge a clear mechanical problem while others claim this is simply a matter of me learning how to drive a standard transmission.

I know how and can drive this Jeep just fine, but can you answer why there is anything to grind from first start up? Nothing in transmission should be spinning.
You have a clutch. When the slave cylinder pushes the clutch lever, the lever pushes against the throw-out bearing inside the transmission. The throw-out bearing then pushes against the pressure plate. The pressure plate pushes against the clutch plate, opening the clutch and allowing the Wrangler to shift.

·
Registered
15,677 Posts
When you start your Jeep the engine is spinning and depending on status of clutch that also spins the transmission input shaft which sure counts as something in transmission spinning even though Jeep is still stationary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but I am still confused about why this is a confused subject.

From a cold start, clutch-in, start Jeep, quickly shift from neutral to reverse and it grinds, why? Other than the pilot bearing what could be conveying rotation to the shaft? Is that my problem, binding/defective/normal pilot, or is this truly normal?

Half on this forum think I'm dense for assuming it's normal and the other half seem to think so for not accepting that it is normal.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the video... Kind of like time travel.

What I notice with my Jeep is that it never spins down and in fact speeds up if I wait too long to go to reverse. Double clutching does not work either and first gear takes more effort to engage than it should.

This causes me believe that my clutch is dragging, but it appears both answers are correct... This is normal Jeep operation, except for the additional issues I am experiencing.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Is that any better the what I posted 38 minutes
Vs your 37.58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. I must be going blind... Apologies!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
He's just trying to save the OP 0.02 minutes :bop:
I was glad to see the video Digger posted. I was just trying to be helpful. I just never saw he note on Digger's post about the time. I guess I jumped right into watching the video after reading the first line...

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a great video in general. Not to get this off topic but check out the video at 30:23. It looks like plastic footwell guard on the inside of the passenger side tub. I've never seen this before. Anyone else see it?

...back to your regular scheduled program...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts