Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can replicate it quite often if I want to. I can feel the grind in the brake pedal when it happens. I need to apply a good amount of brake pressure, make a right turn and go over some kind of bump (driveways work well) to cause flex at a slightly fast rate of speed while maintaining the brake pressure. We're not talking about drifting through turns here tho. Feels almost like ABS but I don't believe that's what it is. It feels like it's coming out of the passenger side front wheel. Imagine what it might feel like to have grains of sand between caliper and rotor while braking. That's what it feels like.
Vehicle is a 2015 JKUR with about 32k miles on it. This is not new to the rig, it's been doing it for (I believe) almost my entire ownership of it. This is just the first time I've ever inquired about it to anyone, don't ask me why..... Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I had the exact same thing until I put my lift on. I'm guessing something was just rubbing the tire a little when the brakes brought the front end down.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the exact same thing until I put my lift on. I'm guessing something was just rubbing the tire a little when the brakes brought the front end down.
I'm not braking hard enough to cause that much front end dip. I've felt it happen on a significant speed bump while making the same type of turn (to the right) again - while braking. So not sure.

Not normal..
Have you looked around underneath to see if you can find any rubbing-spots?
My thoughts as well, couldn't be normal. No I've not yet looked around the wheel to see if I'm getting any rubbing anywhere. There's no way I'm causing enough flex to get the wheel to rub the fender flares. Although I won't rule it out. I'll take around and see what I find.
You have any suggestions of what I should pay extra attention to?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I made it happen again while coming into my driveway. I took a look around and can't find anything that has become damaged or looks to have been rubbed. I'm kind of at a loss as to what might cause such a thing. I guess I can always schedule an appointment with Jeep and get it looked at but....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Might be one of the metal backing plate's ( dust shield) behind brake rotor . Rubbing on rotor or a rock in between rubbing

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Ok so I made it happen again while coming into my driveway. I took a look around and can't find anything that has become damaged or looks to have been rubbed. I'm kind of at a loss as to what might cause such a thing. I guess I can always schedule an appointment with Jeep and get it looked at but....
Mine would do this too. Seems like a "kind of" grinding more than rubbing? And brake pedal feels like you're getting a weak feedback? I was going to the right (sharply) in a rough field continually, and if it does it long enough (more than a second or so) the ESC light comes on on mine. At that point I put 2 and 2 together.

I know I've seen others here have the identical issue as well. I don't think anything is wrong with your Jeep.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might be one of the metal backing plate's ( dust shield) behind brake rotor . Rubbing on rotor or a rock in between rubbing
I believe I know what you're describing. I'll take a look there when I get a chance. But I don't think there should be any movement between that plate and rotor during flex or movement of axles? Correct me if I'm wrong? I'll still look.

Mine would do this too. Seems like a "kind of" grinding more than rubbing? And brake pedal feels like you're getting a weak feedback? I was going to the right (sharply) in a rough field continually, and if it does it long enough (more than a second or so) the ESC light comes on on mine. At that point I put 2 and 2 together. I know I've seen others here have the identical issue as well. I don't think anything is wrong with your Jeep.
It's definitely more of a grinding rather than a rubbing. I don't think rubbing would transfer the vibration into the brake pedal to the degree that I've been getting. I don't think I can say that I'm getting a weak feedback. Braking power still seems to be there when I'm depressing the brake pedal. The only feedback I'm getting is the grinding. I can both feel it in the pedal as well as hear it. I have not kept an eye on the dash cluster to see if any lights such as the ESC have popped on during the issue but I definitely will next time I try to replicate it. I hope nothing is wrong with my Jeep! It drives just fine!

For some reason the bearing tends to ware out on that corner as well. May want to look into that
Which bearing are you talking about? I'll poke around and have a look.

Thank you guys for the responses. I appreciate the help and suggestions.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
The light won't come on unless you make it happen long enough. I had thought something was wrong too. I think you're experiencing the same thing, which if you are, it's just the computer nanny.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Have you tried lifting the right front tire off of the ground and spinning the wheel by hand to check for binding whilst the wheel is cranked over? Possible universal?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The light won't come on unless you make it happen long enough. I had thought something was wrong too. I think you're experiencing the same thing, which if you are, it's just the computer nanny.
Kind of weird that I can only make it happen on the passenger side front though, no? You experienced this in the same exact location?

Have you tried lifting the right front tire off of the ground and spinning the wheel by hand to check for binding whilst the wheel is cranked over? Possible universal?
I haven't tried any of that yet. So far I've only been down on the ground looking around the fender and rotor and axle joint area. This weekend I'll try all your suggestions and see what I come up with.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Kind of weird that I can only make it happen on the passenger side front though, no? You experienced this in the same exact location?

I haven't tried any of that yet. So far I've only been down on the ground looking around the fender and rotor and axle joint area. This weekend I'll try all your suggestions and see what I come up with.
Yes. Mine would only do it going right, over and obstacle, while braking. Had to be all 3 variables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brakes Grind When Turning to Right

I've had the same experience. I think it is an ABS software glitch. I don't think it is safety issue or that it will cause physical damage to the vehicle, but it is an occasional annoyance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. Mine would only do it going right, over and obstacle, while braking. Had to be all 3 variables.
I've had the same experience. I think it is an ABS software glitch. I don't think it is safety issue or that it will cause physical damage to the vehicle, but it is an occasional annoyance.

I've been off the forum for a while, my apologies for not getting back to you all.
I haven't been able to find anything on my own. I did go in for service and had them take a look. The service advisor gave a few thoughts as to what it might be. Unfortunately, the service crew did not find anything. And the advisor's thoughts were exactly that.
Either way, it is what it is. I doesn't seem to be doing any harm and I can live with it when it happens occasionally.
Many thanks you guys for all your input and advice!

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Both our 2015 and our 2013 does this. One is on a 3.5 RK XF lift the other is a 2.5 TF. I do not believe it is a problem, you can feel that it is something in the system doing it, not a wheel rubbing but more in the breaking system. ABS? BLD? I believe it is caused by electronics detecting a differential in front wheel rotation and breaking but physically felt and heard through mechanics. Its just at the last couple feet of stopping in a hard breaking right turn, as in getting ready to stop and back into the driveway.

I can make either one do it whenever I want to. (not that I want to of course)

·
Registered
493 Posts
My 2016 JKU does this occasionally under the same specific conditions mentioned by the OP. I've always thought it was the ABS. Brake pedal feels the same in both situations when I know ABS is working and this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2016 does it also. I've got a 2.5" lift and I'm thinking it's the ESC kicking in on hard right-hand turns. My thought is that it happens more on right-hand turns because the extra weight of the driver is on the outside of the turn, leaning the Jeep over further than a left-handed turn where the driver is on the inside of the turn, counter-weighting the lean. The extra lean (especially of a lifted Jeep/higher CoG) on the right-hand turn kicks the rollover controls on and that is what causes the grinding sensation and sound.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Both our 2015 and our 2013 does this. One is on a 3.5 RK XF lift the other is a 2.5 TF. I do not believe it is a problem, you can feel that it is something in the system doing it, not a wheel rubbing but more in the breaking system. ABS? BLD? I believe it is caused by electronics detecting a differential in front wheel rotation and breaking but physically felt and heard through mechanics. Its just at the last couple feet of stopping in a hard breaking right turn, as in getting ready to stop and back into the driveway.

I can make either one do it whenever I want to. (not that I want to of course)
That's funny because I think the same thing. I can make it happen whenever I want, although I don't particularly like to. Right hand turn coming into any driveway, firm press on the brake pedal and there she goes. It's weird.

Is your JK lifted?
Neg. Jeep is on completely stock suspension.... unfortunately... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts